News & Events
Ten courses are required for the major in religion. These courses
are to be distributed as follows:
- Students must take REL 99 (Theory and Method in Study of Religion.)
We recommend that students take at least two other courses in religion
prior to enrolling in this course.
- Diversity requirement (four courses): Students should
have exposure to at least four different religious traditions. This may be
accomplished through classes in which four different traditions are taught,
or through four courses, each focused on a different religious tradition,
or through some combination thereof. Students are to take four classes within
the department to achieve the diversity requirement. The adviser and the chair
of the Department of Religion must approve the courses taken to fulfill
- Depth requirement (three courses): Students must choose
a subfield in religious studies. This may be one religious tradition, the
traditions of a geographical region, or a religious textual tradition.
Students must demonstrate that they have taken at least three classes in
that specialty. One of the three courses must be in the doctrinal (theological
and philosophical) aspects of religion. In their chosen areas of specialization,
students must take two above-100 level courses. These may include an independent study,
or a senior thesis. The departmental adviser and the chair must approve the student's
area of specialization.
- In addition to the above eight courses, two additional courses listed or
cross-listed in religion, regardless of subject area, are required.
- No course may count for both the diversity and depth requirements.
- No more than four courses transferred from other institutions
(including Tufts programs abroad) may count toward the Religion major
requirements unless approved by the advisor.
- If you have more than one major, please see Bulletin for rules on double-counting courses.
- If you have a minor, no more than two course credits used toward
the minor may be used toward foundation, distribution, major, or other minor requirements.
|© 2020 Tufts University | Privacy