Olin Center 316
Medford, MA 02155
Professor of Arabic and Comparative Literature
Humanities at Tufts
Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora
Program Director, Arabic Program
Ph.D. Columbia University
M.A. Columbia University
B.A. Hampshire College
Comparative literature, film studies, modern Arabic literature,
modern Persian literature, memory studies, postcolonial studies
My research encompasses two areas relating to the study of modern
Arabic and Persian literatures and cultures. First, I study Persian
and Arabic literary history in the late nineteenth and early
twentieth century, with a focus on movements of cultural revival or
innovation. My first book Literary Modernity
between Europe and the Middle East explored the origins of the
conception of literary modernity in Arabic and Persian literatures,
a topic that I have further addressed in articles and as editor of a
special issue of the journal Middle
Eastern Literatures. Second, I research the role of cinema and visual
culture in the formation of cultural memory in conflict and post-conflict social
settings. This research is reflected in my second book, Surviving Images:
Cinema, War and Cultural Memory in the Middle East.
- Surviving Images: Cinema, War and Cultural Memory in the Middle East.
(Oxford University Press, 2015).
- Literary Modernity Between Europe and the Middle East: Transactions in
Nineteenth-Century Arabic, Persian and English Literatures.
New York: Routledge, 2007.
- Editor of special issue: "Authoring the Nahda: Writing the Arabic 19th
Century" Journal of Middle Eastern Literatures, 16:3, 2013.
Selected Articles and Chapters
- "Jurji Zaydan: Avatar of the Modern Revitalization and Worlding of Arabic Literature" A Companion to World Literature,
Vol 4. Ken Seigneurie, et. al (eds). Wiley Blackwell,
Hoboken, NJ. 2019. 1-11.
- "The Gulistan: Sublimity and
the Colonial Credo of Translatability" in Migrating Texts: Circulating
Translations in the late 19th-century Middle East. Marilyn Booth (ed.) Edinburgh
University Press, 2019. 300-31.
- "Pictures in Motion" in The
Global Middle East, edited by Asef Bayat and Linda Herriera,
University of California Press, 2019.
- "Film and Visual Culture as
Sources for teaching Modern Middle East History." in Teaching the Modern Middle
East (Harvey Goldberg Series for Understanding and Teaching History), Omnia
Shakery (ed.). University of Wisconsin Press, 2019. (Forthcoming
Traumas: Kino, kulturelles GedÃ¤chtnis
und Kolonialismus" Montage AV Journal.
26:2 (2017). 93-110
- "Translations between Center
and Periphery: from Iran to the West" (Roundtable) Southerly Journal, 76:3, June
- "Treacherous Memory:
The Little Stranger and the Sacred Defense," in
Moments of Silence: Literary and
Artistic Narratives of the Iran-Iraq War, Arta Khakpour, M. M. Khorrami and
Sholeh Vatanabadi (eds), New York: New York University Press. 2017. 61-87.
the Arabian Nights, NYC: Race Point Publishing, 2015. ix-xvi.
- "Film Studies" Women
in Islamic Societies, Disciplinary Paradigms and Approaches: 2003-2013.
ed. Suad Joseph, et. al., Leiden Press: Leiden, Netherlands. 2013. 87-102.
- "'Sawwaru Waynkum?' Human
Rights and Social Trauma in Waltz with Bashir," College Literature, Special
Issue: Human Rights and Cultural Forms, 40.3, Summer 2013. 60-80.
- "Balancing Integration and
Disintegration: Amir Elsaffar and the Contingent Avant-Garde," in
The Arab Avant
Garde: Music, Politics, Modernity. Thomas Burkhalter, Kay Dickinson and Benjamin
Harbert (eds.), Wesleyan University Press, 2013. 74-89.
- "Global Frames on
Afghanistan: The Iranian Mediation of Afghanistan in International Art-House
Cinema," in Globalizing Afghanistan, Terrorism, War, and the Rhetoric of Nation
Building, Zubeda Jalalzai and David Jeffries (eds.). Chapel Hill, North
Carolina: Duke University Press, 2011. 145-164.
- "Mashruteh and al-Nahda: The
Iranian Constitutional Revolution in the Iranian Diaspora Press of Egypt and in
Arab Reformist Periodicals," in Iran's Constitutional Revolution: Popular
Politics, Cultural Transformations and Transnational Connections. Houchang
Chehabi and Vanessa Martin (eds.), IB Tauris, 2010. 357-368.
- "The Glass Agency: Iranian
War Veterans as Heroes or Traitors?" in Traitors: Suspicion, Intimacy and the
Ethics of State-Building, Thiranagama, S. and Kelly, T (eds.), Philadelphia:
University of Pennsylvania University Press, 2010. 188-200.
- "Al-Sinama al-Filistiniyya wa al-sinama al-Kurdiyya wa mas'alat al-sinama al-wataniyya,"
(Palestinian and Kurdish Cinemas and The Question of National Cinema) in
'an al-'alam al-'Arabi. Hoda Elsadda (ed.) al-Qahira, al-Majlis al-'ala lil thaqafa, 2010.
- "Literary Modernity Between
Arabic and Persian Prose: Jurji Zaydan's Riwayat in Persian Translation,"
Comparative Critical Studies, Vol. 4:2, 2007. 359-378.
- "The Unintended Gift: The
Adventures of Hajji Baba Ispahani as Transactional Text,"
Literatures. Vol. 10:3, 2007. 251-272.
- "Trauma and Maturation in
Women's War Narratives: The Eye of the Mirror and Cracking India,"
Middle Eastern Women's Studies, 2:3, 2006. 22-47.
- "Literary Transactions in the
Changing Value of Alf Layla wa Layla For Modern Readers," Journal of Arabic
Literature, 36:3, 2005. 269-287.
Awards, Grants and Fellowships
- Co-onvenor, Mellon Sawyer Seminar, Tufts University
- Faculty Fellow, Center for Humanities at Tufts University
- Neubauer Faculty Fellow at Tufts University (2010-2011)
- British Academy funding for research network: "Memory,
Trauma and Identity in Literary and Visual Representation in the
Middle East" (2008-2009)
- Funding for program: "New Cinemas of the Arab World" film
festival and academic symposium, funded by EU MedScreen cultural
- Fulbright IIE Fellowship, Cairo, Egypt (2001-2002)
- Critical Studies Fellow, Whitney Museum Independent Study
- Introduction to Literary and Cultural Studies
- Cultural Resistance in Modern Iran
- Visualizing Colonialism
- War and Cultural Memory
- Postcolonial Cinemas
- Modern Arabic Literature
- Middle Eastern Cinemas
- Cultural History of the Modern Middle East