Study Abroad |
Olin Center 326
Medford, MA 02155
Professor, Department Chair
Ph.D., University of Michigan
Twentieth-Century/Contemporary Russian Literature and Culture;
Narratives of War, Russian and Comparative; Reception studies; Sexuality
- Russia: the Story of War
Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2017
- Sexual Revolution in Bolshevik Russia
Pittsburgh University Press 2005
[Nominated in 2006 as the best book in Russian Literature and
by the American Association for Teachers of Slavic and East
- The Politics of Reception: Critical Constructions of
Northwestern University Press, 1998
- "A Russia Born of War." The Roots of Nationalism: National
Identity Formation in Early
Modern Europe, 1600-1815, ed. Lotte Jensen (Amsterdam University
- "Russian Fiction at War." The Long Aftermath: Historical and
of Europe at War (1936-1945), ed. Manuel Braganca and Peter Tame
- "Forever a Time of Troubles." History Today (February, 2015):
- "Ninth Company." The Russian Cinema Reader. Vol. 2 "The Thaw to
the Present." Ed.,
Rimgaila Salys (Academic Studies Press, 2013): 324-329.
- "Sunday Lessons." History Today (December, 2011): 30-37.
- "History Done Right. War and the Dynamics of Triumphalism in
Contemporary Russian Culture," Slavic Review (70.3/2011):
- "Victory in Death: Annihilation Narratives in Russia Today,"
History & Memory (21.3/2010): 135-168.
- "A Tale of Two Wars. Sex and Death in Ninth Company and Cargo
200." Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema. (3.2, 2009): 215-228
- "Escaping the Past? Re-reading Soviet Satire from the 21st
Century." Reflective Laughter: Aspects of Humour in Russian
Culture, ed. Lesley Milne (Anthem Press, 2004): 97-108
- "Mikhail Mikhailovich Zoshchenko," in Dictionary of Literary
Biography, vol. 272: Russian Prose Writers Between the Wars
(Thomson-Gale, 2003) 15,000 word entry.
- "At the Funeral of the Living: the Concept of the Living
Person and the Formation of the Hero in Early Socialist
Realism." The Socialist Realist Canon, ed. E. Dobrenko, H.
Gunther. St. Petersburg, 2000: pp. 339-351 [written/published in
- "Writing-Reading the Sexual Revolution in the Early Soviet
Union." Journal of the History of Sexuality (8.2, 1997):
- "The Figure of the Mass Reader in Early Soviet Literature:
Artificial Interpretive Communities
and Critical Practice." Critical Studies in Mass Communication.
12.1 (1995): 1-22.
- "Genre in Socialist Realism." Slavic Review 53.4 (1994):
- War Stories
- Warrior Nations: Russia and the United States
- Love and Sexuality in World Literature (co-taught with Prof. Charles Inouye)
|© 2020 Tufts University |