Search Faculty by:
Department of History
East Hall, room 305
Medford, MA 02155
Email Prof. Manjapra
Associate Professor of History
Global and Transnational History
Race, Colonialism, and Diaspora Studies
African Diaspora; Modern South Asia; Modern Europe
Intellectual History, Transnational Studies, Postcolonial Studies
Urban History, Oral History, Digital Humanities
I joined Tufts History Department in 2008. I study global,
transnational, and comparative history. I am especially interested
in connected histories of the Global South. My work adopts
postcolonial and critical perspectives in the study of race,
colonialism, diaspora, and capitalism.
My most recent book is
Colonialism in Global Perspective (Cambridge University
Press, 2020). My book, Age of Entanglement: German and Indian
intellectuals across Empire (Harvard University Press, 2014),
explored the tangled cultural politics of Indian and German thinkers
during the long nineteenth century, in the age of anti-colonial
nationalism. It received the international 2019 Merck-Tagore Award.
I am currently writing a book on archives of slavery and
emancipation across the Black Atlantic. My long-term research
project focuses on global plantation histories.
Along with colleagues, I completed a large digital humanities
exploration of the genealogy of the
Third World Humanities using oral histories. We developed the
platform as part of this work.
I serve as the Chair of the Department of Studies in Race,
Colonialism, and Diaspora. I have held fellowships from the
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the Radcliffe Institute of
Advanced Study, and the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin. And I am
honored to be the 2017 recipient of the Lillian and Joseph Leibner
Award for Excellence in Teaching and Advising of Students at Tufts.
Ph.D. Harvard University, 2007
B.A. Harvard University, 2001. magna cum laude with highest
Age of Entanglement: German and Indian Intellectuals across Empire
(Cambridge: Harvard University Press 2014). Winner of the 2019
Merck-Tagore Award, granted by the Goethe-Institut.
- M.N. Roy: Marxism and Colonial Cosmopolitanism (Delhi: Routledge 2010).
- Co-edited with Sugata Bose, Cosmopolitan Thought Zones: South Asia
and the Global Circulation of Ideas (London: Palgrave 2010).
- Manjapra, K. "Necrospeculation: Emancipation, Finance, and
Black Redress," Social Text. No. 139. June 2019.
- Manjapra, K. 2020. "Queer Diasporic Practice of a Muslim
Traveler: Syed Mujtaba Ali's Chacha Kahini" in:
Johannes Feichtinger, Anil Bhatti, and Cornelia Hülmbauer eds.,
How to Write the Global History of Knowledge-Making.
- Manjapra, K. 2019. "Anti-Imperialism and Interregnum",
Cambridge History of Modern European Thought, volume 2.
Edited by Peter Gordon and Warren Breckman.
- Manjapra, K, and Lowe, Lisa. 2019. "Comparative Global
Humanities After Man", Theory, Culture, Society, vol.
- Manjapra, K. 2019. "The Semi-Peripheral Hand" in: David
Motadel and Christoph DeJung eds., The Global Bourgeoisie.
Princeton University Press.
- "Plantation Dispossessions: The Global Travel of Agricultural Racial Capitalism", in: Sven Beckert and Christine Desan, eds.,
American Capitalism: New Histories (New York: Columbia, 2018), pp 361-388.
World Humanities from South Asian Perspectives: An Oral History
Approach", South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies,
- "Asian Plantation Histories at the Frontiers of Nation and
Globalization", Modern Asian Studies, vol. 52, part 4,
July 2018, 1-22. doi:10.1017/S0026749X17000403
- "Transnational Approaches to Global History: A View from the Study of
German-Indian Entanglement", German History, 2014, vol.
32, no. 2, pp 274-293.
- "The Impossible Intimacies of MN Roy",
Postcolonial Studies, 2013, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp 169-184.
- "Knowledgeable Internationalism and the Swadeshi Movement, 1903-1921",
in: Economic and Political Weekly, vol. 47, no. 42, October 20, 2012.
- "Stella Kramrisch and the Bauhaus in Calcutta", in:
The Last Harvest: Paintings of Rabindranath Tagore.
Edited by R. Siva Kumar (Ahmedabad: Mapin, 2011), pp 34-40.
- "From Imperial to International Horizons: A Hermeneutic
Study of Bengali Modernism," in: Modern Intellectual History,
vol. 8, no. 2, August 2011.
- "Introduction" to Cosmopolitan Thought Zones:
South Asia and the Global Circulation of Ideas.
Edited by Sugata Bose and Kris Manjapra (London: Palgrave 2010).
- "Communist Internationalism and Transcolonial
Recognition" in Cosmopolitan Thought Zones, edited
with Sugata Bose (London: Palgrave 2010).
- "The illusions of encounter: Muslim 'minds'
and Hindu revolutionaries in First World War
Germany and after," in: Journal of Global History,
vol. 1, no. 3, November 2006.
Digital Humanities projects
Reviews and other projects
When will Britain face up to its crimes against humanity?,
The Guardian, March 29, 2018
to an editors' forum on
The Practices of Transnational Studies"
in New Global Studies New Global Studies, vol. 4, no. 1, March 2010.
- Contribution to Forum on "Asia, Germany, and the Transnational Turn".
Edited by Bradley Naranch in German History, vol. 28, no. 4, December 2010.
- 2019 International Merck-Tagore Prize of the Goethe Institute
- 2017-2018 Fellowship, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (Berlin
Institute for Advanced Study)
- 2017 Lillian and Joseph Leibner Award for Excellence in
Teaching and Advising at Tufts University
- 2015-2016 Fellowship, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced
Study, Harvard University
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education Emerging Scholar 2015
- Tufts University Teaching with Technology Award, 2012
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship,
Free University, Berlin, 2010-2011
- NEH Collaborative Research Grant Recipient, 2010
- Berger Family Digital Humanities Research Grant, 2009
- Neubauer Faculty Fellow, Tufts University, 2009-2010
- Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities, UCLA, 2007-2009
- Krupp Foundation Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2004-05
- DAAD Fellowship for Research in Germany, 2004-05
- Colonialism in Global Perspective
- Comparative Plantation Histories
- Decolonization and the Body
- German Imperialism
- Modern Intellectual History
- South Asia and the World