Search Faculty by:
Department of History
East Hall, Room 009
Medford, MA 02155
Email Prof. Jalal
Mary Richardson Professor of History
South Asia, the Muslim World
Director of Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean Studies
I joined Tufts University as a tenured full professor in the fall of
1999. Since 2003, I have held a joint appointment at the History
Department and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and am
currently the holder of the Mary Richardson chair. After double
majoring in history and political science from Wellesley College in
1978, I went to the United Kingdom where I received my doctorate in
history from the University of Cambridge in 1983. I was a Fellow of
Trinity College, Cambridge (1980-84), Leverhulme Fellow at the
Centre of South Asian Studies, Cambridge (1984-87), Fellow of the
Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars in Washington, DC
(1985-86) and Academy Scholar at the Harvard Academy for
International and Area Studies (1988-90). Between 1998-2003, I was a
MacArthur Fellow. I have taught at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison, Tufts University, Columbia University, and
- The Struggle for Pakistan: A Muslim Homeland and Global Politics, (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2014)
- The Pity of Partition: Manto's Life, Times and Work Across the India Pakistan Divide, The Lawrence Stone Lectures April 2011, (Princeton University Press, 2013)
- Manto, joint editor with Nusrat Jalal for this Bilingual (Urdu and English) commemorative volume on Saadat Hasan Manto's birth centenary,
(Lahore: Sang-e-Meel Publications, 2012)
- Oxford Companion to Pakistani History, editor, (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2012)
- Partisans of Allah: Jihad in South Asia, (Harvard University Press, 2008)
- Self and Sovereignty: the Muslim Individual and the Community of Islam in South Asia,(London: Routledge, 2000).
- Modern South Asian History, Culture, Political Economy, joint author with Sugata Bose (London: Routledge, 2011).
- Nationalism, Democracy and Development: State and Politics in India, joint editor with Sugata Bose (Delhi: Oxford U Press, 1997).
- Democracy and Authoritarianism in South Asia: a Comparative and Historical Perspective,(Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1995).
- State of Martial Rule; the Origins of Pakistan's Political Economy of Defense, (Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1990).
- The Sole Spokesman: Jinnah, the Muslim League, and the Demand for Pakistan, (Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1985).
- Islam is the Ocean: Muslim Universalism in the Age of
European Empire - joint editor with Sugata Bose
- Companion to Modern South Asia, (Routledge) with