Faculty Searches |
Arts and Sciences Learning Objectives
Latin American Studies
Latin American Studies Learning Objectives:
The main objectives of the LAS program are to provide students with a broad
interdisciplinary understanding of the political, economic, historic and
cultural developments of Latin America in an integrated manner.
Specifically students should acquire the following skills:
- An in-depth multidisciplinary knowledge of the major developments of the
primary regions of Latin America (Mexico, the Caribbean/Central America, the
Andean region, Brazil, and the Southern cone)
- Written and oral proficiency in Spanish. In addition, elective credit may
be earned through the acquisition of a basic knowledge of Portuguese or an
indigenous language such as Quechua.
- Acquire familiarity with the ways in which different indigenous and diasporic cultures have contributed to the development of Latin America.
- The development of critical analytical skills to understand and evaluate
the complexity and diversity of Latin America, both past and present.
- The ability to initiate, develop, and carry out independent research
Back to main Learning Objectives page >
|© 2019 Tufts University | Privacy