First Year Writing |
News & Events
Department of English
6 The Green
Room 111, East Hall
Medford, MA 02155
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
B.A., New York University, 1975
- Sixteenth- and seventeenth-century
- Renaissance poetry
- Gender and sexuality studies
- General View of English Literature
- The Renaissance in England
- Renaissance Drama
- Seventeenth-Century English Literature
- Forms of Desire in Early Modern England
- Marlowe and Jonson
- Renaissance Poetry
- Desire and Dramatic Form in Early Modern
England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2009.
in paperback, 2012.
- Pastoral and the Poetics of Self-Contradiction: Theocritus to Marvell
(Cambridge UP, 1994).
in paperback, 2006.
- Adoptive Strategies: Imagining Paternity in Early Modern England
- "Marlowe's Queer Jew" Renaissance Drama 47.1 (2019).
- "Comedy and Eros: Sexualities on Shakespeare's Stage," in
The Oxford Handbook of Shakespearean Comedy. Ed. Heather
Hirschfield. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2018.
- "The State of the Art: Desire, History, and the Theater," in
Edward II: A Critical Reader. Arden Early Modern Drama Guides.
Ed. Kirk Melnikoff. London: Bloomsbury, 2017.
- "Shakespeare's Sadism: The Case of Gloucester's Eyes." The
Hare: an Online Journal, Reviews and Essays in Renaissance
Literature 2.3 (May, 2015)
- "'I cannot tell wat is like me': Simile, Paternity, and Identity
in Henry V.'" Shakespeare Studies 41 (2013).
- "The Duchess of Malfi: Tragedy and Gender." The Cambridge
Companion to English Renaissance Tragedy. Ed. Garrett Sullivan
and Emma Smith. Cambridge: Cambridge UP 2010.
- "'I(t) could not choose but follow': Erotic Logic in The
Changeling." Representations 81 (2003).
- "'My body bestow upon my women': The Space of the Feminine in
The Duchess of Malfi." Renaissance Drama n.s. 28 (1999).
- "'True-Love's Blood': Narrative and Desire in Hero and
Leander." English Literary Renaissance 28 (1998).
* Reprinted in Poetry Criticism 57 (Gale, 2004).
* Reprinted in Christopher Marlowe's Hero and Leander, Literature
Criticism 1400-1800 232 (Gale, 2014).
- "Submitting to History: Marlowe's Edward II." Enclosure
Acts: Sexuality, Property, and Culture in Early Modern England.
Ed. Richard Burt and John M. Archer. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1994.
- Christopher Marlowe in Poetry Criticism. LP
- Christopher Marlowe's Hero and Leander, in
Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800. Vol. 232.
Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2014.
|© 2021 Tufts University | Privacy