First Year Writing
English 2 Alternatives
For liberal arts students seeking to fulfill the second half of the
writing requirement, Philosophy 2 (formerly Philosophy 1)
"Introduction to Philosophy" may be taken in place of English 2.
English 2 builds on the foundation laid in English 1. Accordingly,
if a student wishes to count an English 2 alternative class towards
the writing requirement, they must first take (or have exempted out
of) English 1 (or English 3).
The following policies apply to all English 2 alternative courses:
- English 2 alternative courses must be taken at Tufts and cannot be
transferred from another college.
- Students may not count the course as English 2 if taken before or
at the same time as English 1 (or English 3).
- Alternative courses used to fulfill the writing requirement must
be taken for a letter grade, and may not be taken pass-fail.
- Alternative courses used to fulfill the writing requirement may not
be online courses.
Philosophy 2: Introduction to Philosophy (formerly
Philosophy 2 is offered in the fall and spring semesters. Students
interested in taking Philosophy 2 should contact the Department of
Philosophy directly. Students must register for this course during
the "high demand" period.
- Philosophy 2 summer courses (in person) will
count toward the writing requirement. Philosophy 2 online courses
will not count toward the writing requirement. In response
to the Covid-19 situation, for this summer
only (2020), PHIL 2 taken online will be accepted
as equivalent of ENG 2.
- Beginning in Spring 2014, Russian 75 "War Stories"
(formerly Rus 91/92 "Special Topics: War Stories") no longer counts
as an English 2 alternative course.