Cousens Gymnasium, College Avenue, Medford, MA 02155 | Phone: (617) 627-3232 | Contact Us
Tufts Jumbos
section photo

Athletics Home
Physical Education

Tufts Athletics

Donate to Tufts Athletics

Teams: Men's Lacrosse: Schedule & Results

Team Overview | Schedule & Results | Coach | Roster | Statistics
Archives | Records | Press Releases | Recruiting Form


NESCAC Tournament 1st Round
Williams 14, Tufts 6

At Medford, MA
Sunday, April 27, 2008

Game Box Score
Senior defenseman Tucker Merrigan was one of 10 Tufts seniors to play in their last game

MEDFORD -- Williams College junior goalie Michael Gerbush (Glen Head, NY) stopped 19 of the 25 shots on net that he faced, and the Ephs out-scored Tufts 12-3 over the final three quarters, leading the visitors to a 14-6 win over the Jumbos in the first round of the NESCAC men's lacrosse tournament on Sunday afternoon at Bello Field.

Seeded sixth in the tournament, Williams (8-5) advances to the NESCAC semi-finals next weekend at Middlebury College, where they will play the top seeded Panthers on Saturday. The Ephs were led offensively today by three goals from freshman David Hawley (New Canaan, CT) and a goal with three assists from senior Dixon Hargrove (Wallingford, PA).

Third-seeded Tufts' season is most likely over with a 9-6 mark. The Jumbos were led by two goals apiece from freshmen D.J. Hessler (Monkton, MD) and Ryan Molloy (Setauket, NY). Junior goalie Matt Harrigan (Darnestown, MD) made nine saves.

Hessler had a goal and an assist in the first period, helping the Jumbos to a 3-2 lead after 15 minutes of play. However, the Ephs scored four straight goals in the second period, including three in a row by Hawley, to lead 6-3 with six minutes to go until halftime. Tufts senior Matt Caple (Wellesley, MA) pulled the hosts within 6-4 with two minutes left and that's how it went to intermission.

Williams picked up where it left off, scoring the first three goals of the second half to lead 9-4 on a goal by junior Kevin Connolly (Simsbury, CT) with a minute left in the third. Tufts was able to score its only goal of the third with 18 seconds to go, by Molloy, and it was 9-5 heading into the fourth.

Hessler opened the fourth with a goal at 14:11 and Tufts was behind just 9-6. However, the Ephs scored five times in a three-minute span, two by sophomore Richard Reuter (Ridgewood, NJ), and led 14-6 just like that. With Gerbush in a zone, the lead was safe. He came out of the game with 3:15 to play.

The Jumbos finished with a 46-33 lead in shots and also had an edge in the ground ball battle, 32-28. The face-offs were even (Tufts 12-11) and the Jumbos capitalized on three of six man-up opportunities. The win avenged a 7-4 loss to Tufts for the Ephs back on March 15.