Associate Professor of History of Art and Architecture Emerita
Department of History of Art
11 Talbot Avenue
Medford, MA 02155
Email Prof. Baskins
Italian Renaissance art, Mediterranean studies, early modern books, and
Ph.D. University of California Berkeley, 1988
M.A. University of California Berkeley, 1981
B.A. Scripps College, Claremont, CA, 1979
Download the professor's CV >
Cristelle Baskins earned a
PhD from UC Berkeley. Her interests include secular subject matter, political
allegory, domestic painting, and Renaissance art in modern film. She has
published widely in scholarly journals such as Art History, Oxford Art
Journal, The Burlington Magazine, and Studies in Iconography.
Her book, Cassone Painting, Humanism and Gender in Early Modern Italy
(Cambridge, 1998), was awarded an Honorable Mention by the Society for the Study
of Early Modern Women. She has edited two volumes: The Medieval Marriage
Scene: Prudence, Passion, Policy with Sherry Roush, and Allegory in Early
Modern Visual Culture with Lisa Rosenthal. She curated an exhibition for the
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, October 2008 - Jan 2009:
The Triumph of Marriage: Renaissance Painted Wedding Chests. The
exhibition was supported by the Mellon and Kress foundations. In 2009-2010, she
was on sabbatical as an Aga Khan Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University
working on a book project, Picturing North Africa and the Levant in Early
Learn more about Professor Baskins >
- "Popes, Patriarchs, and Print: Representing Chaldeans in
Renaissance Rome," Renaissance Studies 28 (2014): 405-425.
- "The Sopranos: Mannerist Painting and Postmodern
Television," The Renaissance: Revised, Expanded,
Unexpurgated, ed. M. Lasansky (Boston: Gutenberg Periscope
Press, 2014), 152-168.
- The Triumph of Marriage: Painted Cassoni of the Renaissance(Boston: Gutenberg Periscope Publishing,
Limited, 2008), with contributions by A. Chong, J. Musacchio,
and A. Randolph.
- Early Modern Visual Allegory: Embodying Meaning, co-edited with Lisa Rosenthal, (Burlington,
VT: Ashgate, 2007).
- The Medieval Marriage Scene: Prudence, Passion, Policy, co-edited with Sherry Roush, (Tempe, AZ:
- Cassone Painting, Humanism and Gender in Early Modern Italy, (Cambridge University Press, 1998)