|Home | About | People | Undergraduate Program | Courses | Careers & Resources | News & Events | Contact|
1945 Anthropologist Frederick Wulsin, then working for US War Department on research relating to soldiers in extreme weather conditions, met Tufts President Leonard Carmichael who was also working in Washington on the war effort. Carmichael hired Wulsin to come to Tufts as a lecturer in Anthropology.
1947 Wulsin was promoted to professor. The Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History notes that he was "fast becoming one of the most popular professors on campus. Oftentimes during spring, Wulsin taught classes outside lying on his stomach with his head in one hand."
1957 Frederick Wulsin retired.
1961 Wilbert Carter, an Arctic archaeologist with an MA, arrived from Harvard to work in the Tufts Sociology Department where he taught all four fields of Anthropology.
1978 Anthropology was first offered as a stand-alone major at Tufts.
1982 The Sociology Department was renamed the
Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
2003 With the Departments of Anthropology at Brandeis University and Wellesley College, Tufts was a founding partner in the Greater Boston Anthropology Consortium (GBAC), which expanded a sense of intellectual community for both faculty and students through conferences, roundtables, and lectures over the next decade.
2005 Anthropology became an independent department, with Rosalind Shaw as its first chair.
2007 Tufts anthropologists moved from their longtime home in the basement of Eaton Hall to 126 Curtis Street, a space shared with the Department of Religion.
2009 After two years on the edge of campus, the Departments of Anthropology and Religion moved into another shared home on the top floor of Eaton Hall.
|© 2017 Tufts University | Photo credits include: Wikipedia, Thinkstock and Tufts University | Privacy|