Tuition and Fees

2018 Program Dates

Pre-College Programs: Now Open

Summer Abroad: Now Open

Summer Session: Opens March 7th

First Session: May 23rd – June 29th

Second Session: July 3rd – August 10th

12-Week Session: May 23rd – August 10th

Visa Information for International Students

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires that all non-U.S. citizens who intend to study in the United States obtain student visas before enrolling.

If you are an international student applying for F-1 or J-1 visa sponsorship from Tufts, you are required to enroll in at least one course for credit during each summer session that you wish to study at Tufts. You must also submit the following documents to the Summer Session Office:

  1. International Student Information Form. This form provides Tufts Summer Session with important details about you, your family, and your intended study.

  2. Evidence of language proficiency. The ability to study in the English language is a requirement. To confirm basic proficiency in written and spoken English, Tufts Summer Session requires that non-native English speakers provide a recent score from a test of English as a second language. There are minimum scores that are permitted:

    • 550 on the paper-based TOEFL
    • 213 on the computer-based TOEFL (CBT)
    • 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
    • 7.0 on the IELTS
    • 550 on the CET-4 (China)
    • 520 on the CET-6 (China)
    • C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)

    The TOEFL or IELTS score will be waived if you have already graduated from a high school, college or university in the U.S.

  3. Current academic transcript. Current college students and college graduates must provide Tufts Summer Session with a current academic transcript from the institution you attend or from which you have graduated. This document must be current (not older than one year).

  4. Verification of sufficient funds which documents your ability to pay tuition and cover living expenses. Original documentation is required (no copies). Third-party promise to pay (i.e., sponsorship or scholarship letters) must state explicitly the amount the organization will pay.

Tufts University will issue the I-20 or DS-2019 document needed to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visas if your application is received in time. See the International Student Calendar for details. It will take a minimum of two weeks for Tufts Summer Session to process these documents, so please plan accordingly.

Tufts University recommends that students leave as much time as possible to obtain their student visas from the U.S. embassies or consulates in their home countries. It is recommended that students contact the U.S. embassy or consulate closest to them for specific information on the length of time required to obtain a student visa.

Once you have been approved to study at Tufts this summer, Tufts will send you information on how to submit course registration.

If you currently hold an F-1 or J-1 visa from another institution and plan to transfer to Tufts sponsorship, please download and complete the Transfer Form. Return this form to Tufts Summer Session.

If you are planning on continuing your studies at Tufts University after the summer, contact the Tufts International Center for more details.