Housing Choices

Graduate Students

Who's Eligible to Apply:
Full-time students in the first year of their graduate programs in the College of Arts & Sciences & Engineering, School of Nutrition, or College of Special Studies may apply for on-campus graduate student housing. Applications are available on-line (ase.tufts.edu/reslife) and from the Residential Life Office. Please note we cannot provide housing for couples or children.

Completed Graduate Student Housing applications can be faxed to (617) 627-3929, 24 hours a day everyday (the USA country code is 1).  Applications can also be mailed to:

Residential Life Office
Tufts University
South Hall
Medford, MA 02155

Nine (9) spaces are set aside for students with permanent home addresses outside the United States and Canada. See Room Selection for details on the lottery and selection process.

About the Houses and Services
The Tufts University Residential Life Office assigns Fairmont, McCollester, and Tousey Houses as graduate student residences. These houses are located in the "uphill" section of the Medford campus, off of Winthrop Street.

Collectively, these three houses offer 39 single occupancy rooms. The rooms come in three sizes (small, standard, and premium) and are priced accordingly. No two rooms are exactly the same size.

Each residence has a common room or lounge and shared bathrooms (no private bathrooms are available for any of the rooms). One small kitchen is available in each residence and is shared with all of the occupants of each house. This one kitchen must be shared amongst 10 to 16 residents, so storage space for personal cooking implements, dishes, and food is extremely limited. Residents are advised, but not required, to purchase one of the many meal plan options offered by Tufts Dining Services (call 617-627-3566).

A small combination microwave and refrigerator unit (called a MicroFridge) can be rented from the student-run on-campus organization Tufts Student Resources (TSR, call 617-627-3224 or go on-line to ase.tufts.edu/tsr): please contact TSR directly for information and prices. Small refrigerators (no larger than 3 cubic feet in size) are allowed in individual rooms. The use of stand-alone microwaves and other cooking appliances is not permitted in individual student rooms.

Air conditioners are not allowed; however, small fans are allowed. Halogen torchieres are not allowed in on-campus housing. Pets are also not allowed. Health and safety inspections by the Tufts University Residential Facilities Office (call 617-627-3992) are conducted at least once each semester advance notice is given to residents. Please refer to Habitats for more information about community standards and fire/life safety issues.

Each room is furnished with an extra-long (80" x 36") single bed (you must provide your own sheets, blankets, pillows, etc.), a dresser, a desk with a desk chair, a telephone jack (with a preassigned phone number -- you must provide your own telephone), and an ethernet hook-up for your personal computer. Information about telephone, ethernet, and cable TV services is available from Tufts Connect (call 617-627-7627).

The Fletcher School and Health Sciences Schools:
Students enrolled in the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, or any of the health sciences schools, should contact that school directly for information about housing:

  Office of Residential Life and Learning, South Hall, Tufts University, Medford, MA, 02155  |  Tel: (617) 627-3248  |  Fax: (617) 627-3929  |  Email