Print this list in
and bring with you to appointments!
- Is refrigerator included? Is it clean?
- Sink large enough to wash dishes; drains properly and doesn't leak?
- Stove & oven in good repair?
- Turn on stove – do all burners work?
- Garbage disposal run?
- Adequate hot & cold water?
- Toilet: free from leaks
- Sink, tub, shower: free from leaks; drain properly, in good condition
- Newer electric socket (GFCI) near sink
- Adequate ventilation (fan or window)
- Walls: from floor to 4 ft. must have non-absorbent, easily
cleaned material (tiles or vinyl coating)
- Enough hot & cold water for ordinary use
- Hot water heater in good condition (heats to 120F degrees)
- Oil, gas or electric?
- Who pays, and how much?
- How to contact utility company?
- System must be adequate to keep every room at 68F between
September 16 & June 14, 7 am-11 pm; 64F 11pm-7am.
- For each room, 2 separate outlets or 1 outlet & 1 overhead light fixture
- Electric light fixtures in storage & hallways
- No temporary wiring
- No wiring under rugs or passing through doorways
- Will your computer/stereo cause fuses to blow? (Is system old or new?)
- Will you need lamps?
- Internet access installed?
- Adequate ventilation for every room (window or vent)
- Visit apt at night with a friend to get a feel for neighborhood;
are front & back doors and street well-lighted?
- Lighted parking area?
- Working locks on all doors & windows?
- Working screens?
- Appropriate # of persons per unit.
- Sliding glass doors with bar or stick across base?
- Two exits per unit; no blocked exits
- Adequate & accessible fire escape
- Working smoke detectors in/near every bedroom, hallway and
- Candles and open flames are FIRE HAZARDS and should be avoided
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors must be present in the unit.
- Driveway parking?
- Near "T"/ bus stop?
- Approximate walking time _________
- Where are garbage cans/covers kept?
- Recycling boxes?
- When is trash pick-up?
- Foundations: water-tight, rodent-proof, in good repair
- Floors: free of holes, cracks or bulges
- Walls: in good repair
- Ceilings: in good repair
- Doors & windows: water-tight, no drafts
- Stairways: stable with handrail
- Porch: railing is over 3 ft. from ground
- No lead paint if children under the age of six are living in the
- No rats or roaches
- Water, heat, electricity, and gas must be on at all times except
during actual repair
Concerns or Complaints
Discuss questions or concerns about an apartment's condition with the
landlord before signing a lease. If repairs are needed, write
agreement into lease, eg, "Landlord will fix leaky sink before move-in
date." Sign and date.
After you move in: complaints about unresponsive landlords (who do
not respond to repeated phone calls or letters) should be made to the
local Board of Health.
- Medford Board of Health, (781) 393-2560
- Somerville Board of Health, (617) 625-6600 ext. 4300