Department of Occupational
574 Boston Ave.
Medford, MA 02155
of Life Lab >
PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Professor, Director of Health Quality of Life Lab
PhD, Harvard University (Social Psychology)
MA, University of Southern California (Occupational Therapy)
BA, Stanford University (Anthropology)
Occupational therapy, social psychology, culture and health care
stigma, health quality of life, social participation, Parkinson's
disease and conditions across lifespan that affect nonverbal and
verbal communication, evidence-based practice
Scholarship / Research:
I study health quality of life and define it as participation in
daily life tasks, activities, and roles in a manner that contributes
to individual, familial, societal, and global health and well-being.
A bio-psycho-social approach is taken with respect to processes and
outcomes of health quality of life. I work with researchers and
students from different disciplines and countries to conduct
research in a creative and collaborative interdisciplinary
- Foster, E. R., Bedekar, M., & Tickle-Degnen, L. (2014).
Systematic review of the effectiveness of occupational
therapy-related interventions for persons with Parkinson's
disease. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 68(1), 39-49.
doi: 10.5014/ajot.2014.008706. PMID:24367954
- Tickle-Degnen, L. (2014). Therapeutic rapport. In M.V.
Radomski & C.A. Trombly Latham (Eds.), Occupational therapy for
physical dysfunction, 7th ed. (pp. 412-427). Baltimore:
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Tickle-Degnen, L. (2013). The nuts and bolts of conducting
feasibility studies. American Journal of Occupational Therapy,
67(2), 171-176. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2013.006270. PMID:23433271
- Tickle-Degnen, L. (2013). Communicating evidence to clients,
managers, and funders. In M. Law & J. MacDermid (Eds).
Evidence-based rehabilitation: A guide to practice, 3nd ed.
(pp.275-304). Thorofare, NJ.: Slack Inc.
- Baker, N., & Tickle-Degnen, L. (2013). Evidence-based
practice: Integrating evidence to inform practice. In E. Crepeau,
E. Cohn, & B. Schell (Eds.), Willard & Spackman's occupational
therapy, 12th ed. (pp. 398-412). Baltimore: Lippincott Williams
- Bogart, K. R., Tickle-Degnen, L., & Ambady, N. (2012).
Compensatory expressive behavior for facial paralysis:
Adaptation to congenital or acquired disability. Rehabilitation
Psychology, 57(1), 43-51. PMID: 22369116.
- Bogart, K. R., Tickle-Degnen, L., & Joffe, M. (2012). Social
interaction experiences of adults with Moebius syndrome: A focus
group. Journal of Health Psychology. Published online ahead of
print January 18, 2012. PMID: 22257565.
- Tirella, L.G., Tickle-Degnen, L., Miller, L., & Bedell, G.
(2011). Parent strategies for addressing the needs of their
newly adopted child. Physical & Occupational Therapy in
Pediatrics, Early Online, 1-14. DOI:
- Schenkman, M., Ellis, T., Christiansen, C., Baron, A.,
Tickle-Degnen, L., Hall, D., & Wagenaar, R. (2011). Profile of
functional limitations and task performance among people with
early and mid-stage Parkinson disease. Physical Therapy, 91,
- Tickle-Degnen, L., Zebrowitz, L.A., & Ma, H. (2011).
Culture, gender and health care stigma: Practitioners' response
to facial masking experienced by people with Parkinson's
disease. Social Science & Medicine, 73, 95-102.
- Daunhauer, L.A., Coster, W.J., Tickle-Degnen, L., Cermak,
S.A. (2010). Play and cognition among young children reared in
an institution. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics,
- Takahashi, K., Tickle-Degnen, L., Coster, W. J., & Latham,
N. (2010). Expressive behavior in Parkinson's disease as a
function of interview context. American Journal of Occupational
Therapy, 64, 483-494.
- Gray, H., & Tickle-Degnen, L. (2010). A meta-analysis of
performance on emotion recognition tasks in Parkinson's disease.
Neuropsychology, 24, 176-191.
- Tickle-Degnen, L., Ellis, T.D., Saint-Hilaire, M., Thomas,
C., & Wagenaar, R.C. (2010). Self-management rehabilitation and
health-related quality of life in Parkinson's disease: A
randomized controlled trial. Movement Disorders, 25, 194-204.
- Hemmesch, A.R., Tickle-Degnen, L., & Zebrowitz, L.A. (2009).
The influence of facial masking and gender on age peers'
impressions of older adults with Parkinson' disease. Psychology
& Aging, 24, 542-549.
- White, D.K., Wagenaar, R.C., Ellis, T.D., & Tickle-Degnen,
L. (2009). Changes in walking activity and endurance following
rehabilitation for people with Parkinson's disease. Archives of
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 90, 43-50.