Teresa A. May-Benson
Department of Occupational
574 Boston Ave.
Medford, MA 02155
ScD, OT, FAOTA
ScD, Boston University (Therapeutic Studies)
MS, Boston University (Occupational Therapy)
BS, Ohio State University (Occupational Therapy)
Occupational therapy, sensory integration and praxis in adults and children,
pediatrics, autism and developmental disabilities, test development, research
methods and evidence-based practice
I study aspects of occupational therapy practice related to the use of the
sensory integration frame of reference in clinical settings with children and
adults with varied diagnoses. I have developed several assessments to examine
various areas of sensory integration dysfunction. I am also interested in
conducting research which supports the evidence-based practice of occupational
therapy using a sensory integration approach.
- May-Benson, T.A. (2015). Adult/Adolescent Sensory History - User's Manual. Newton, MA: Spiral Foundation
- May-Benson, T.A., et al. (2014). Inter-Rater Reliability and Discriminative Validity of the Structural
Elements of the Ayres Sensory Integration® Intervention Fidelity
Measure©. American Journal of
- May-Benson, T.A. (2014). Praxis Disorders. In
Autism Interventions: Exploring the
Spectrum of Autism. Carolyn Murray-Slutsky & Betty A. Paris (Ed.) Austin,
TX: Hammill Institute on Disabilities.
- Gill, S. V., May-Benson, T. A., Teasdale, A., & Munsell, E. G. (2013). Birth and
developmental correlates of birth weight in a sample of children with potential
sensory processing disorder. BMC Pediatrics, 13(1), 29.
- Cohn, E., May-Benson, T., & Teasdale, A. (2011).
The Relationship Between Behaviors Associated With Sensory Processing and
Parental Sense of Competence. OTJR: Occupation, Participation, Health. DOI: 10.3928/15394492-20110304-01.
- Parham, L. D., Roley, S. S., May-Benson, T. A., Koomar, J., Brett-Green,
B., Burke, J. P., Cohn, E, S., Mailloux, Z., Miller, L., Schaaf, R. C., et al.
(2011). Development of a Fidelity Measure for Research on Effectiveness of Ayres
Sensory Integration ® Intervention. American Journal of Occupational Therapy,
- May-Benson, T. A., & Koomar, J. A. (2010). Evidenced-Based Systematic Review of
the Efficacy of Sensory Integrative Intervention for Children. American Journal of Occupational Therapy.64(3),
- May-Benson, T. (2010). Praxis and
play in children with autism. In Miller-Kuhaneck, H. & Watling, R. Eds, Autism: A comprehensive occupational therapy approach (3rd
Ed.). Bethesda, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association.
- May-Benson, T.A., Koomar, J.A., and Teasdale, A. (2009). Incidence of
pre-, peri-, and post-natal birth and developmental problems of children with
sensory processing disorder and children with autism spectrum disorder. Frontiers of Integrative Neuroscience,
- May-Benson, T. & Cermak, S. (2007). Development of an Assessment for
Ideational Praxis. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 148-153.
- May-Benson, T. & Koomar, J. (2007). Identifying Gravitational
Insecurity in Children. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 142-147.
- Mailloux, Z., May-Benson, T., et al. (2007). The Issue Is: Goal Attainment
Scaling as a Measure of Meaningful Outcomes for Children with Sensory
Integration Disorders. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 254-259.
- May-Benson, T. (2001). A Theoretical Model of Ideation. In Blanche, E,
Schaaf, R. and Smith Roley, S., (Eds.). Understanding the Nature of Sensory
Integration with Diverse Populations. Therapy Skill Builders.