Susan M. Higgins
Department of Occupational
574 Boston Ave.
Medford, MA 02155
Academic Fieldwork Coordinator/Lecturer
BS, MA, OTD in Occupational Therapy, Tufts University
Group and Psychosocial Practice; Cognitive Disabilities Model;
Occupational Therapy Fieldwork; Animal-Assisted Therapy
My doctoral research focus was on identifying occupational therapy
practitioners' current practice trends and views of group treatment
in order to identify supports and barriers of group treatment, to
identify future educational needs, and to propose recommendations to
increase group work in occupational therapy practice. Other research
interests include: clinical reasoning, occupational therapy
- Extensive experience in mental health practice, with focus on
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy and the
Allen Cognitive Disabilities Model.
- New England Co-Trainer for the AOTA Fieldwork Educators Certificate Program.
- Non-traditional and emerging practice fieldwork education models.
- Higgins, S. M.,
Schwartzberg, S. L., Bedell, G., & Duncombe, L. W. (2014). Current Practice and
Perceptions of Group Work in Occupational Therapy. Group, 38(4),
- Ostrove, B., Egan, N.,
& Higgins, S. (2012). Sensory Interventions. In Damon, L., Matthew, J., Sheehan,
J., & Uebelacker, L. (Eds.). Inpatient Psychiatric Nursing: Clinical
Strategies & Practical Interventions (pp. 335-348). New York: Springer
- Higgins, S. M. (2011).
A Review of: "Occupational Therapy in Mental Health:
Considerations for Advanced Practice",
Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 27(2), 193-195.
- Higgins, S. M. (1998). The OT/OTA collaborative
model of fieldwork education. OT Practice, 3, 41-44.
- Marjorie B. Greene Award in Occupational Therapy, Tufts University, 2015
- Who's Who among America's Teachers, 2006, 2007
- Irene Allard Clinical Educator Award, NEOTEC, 1999
Professional Affiliations and Service:
- Allen Cognitive Advisors, Ltd. �" 2003 to present
- American Board of Disability Analysts �" 2004 to present
- American Occupational Therapy Association �" 1986 to present