Everett     Medford     Revere     Somerville     Winthrop    

 Learning Our Community's American Lore


About Winthrop
Historical Agency
Participants
Videocases

Home
 

About Winthrop

Winthrop was named after the first Governor of Massachusetts, John Winthrop, and is the only town in Suffolk County. Originally part of an area called Winnesimmet by the Native Americans, the peninsula was annexed by Boston in 1630 and quickly became the grazing area for farm animals of the rapidly growing Boston colony. In 1637 it was divided into 15 parcels of land, which were given by Governor Winthrop to prominent men in Boston with the stipulation that each must erect a building on his land within two years. One of these early houses, built at least in part during the first half of the 1600s, was the home of Governor Winthrop's son Deane who lived there until his death in 1703.The house is still standing and is maintained by the Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association. Today Winthrop is home to 17,712 residents. The Winthrop Public Schools serve 2,136 students, 8.5% of whom are minorities and 33% of whom receive free/reduced lunch.

Shore Collaborative  •   Department of Education at Tufts  •   TAH Grant Program
2017 TUFTS UNIVERSITY, Department of Education and The Shore Collaborative. All rights reserved.