Home |  About Us |  Coming to Tufts |  Immigration |  Taxes & Social Security |  Life at Tufts |  Programs & Orientations |  For Departments  

Immigration: Visa Categories

B-1/B-2: Visitor/ Tourist

The B1/B2 visitor visa is most often used for individuals who come to campus to give a lecture or to participate in a seminar or colloquium. While most short-term academic appointments use the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa, which is relatively quick and easy to obtain, on rare occasions it may be possible for an individual to use the Visitor Visa (either the B-1 Visa obtained from a U.S. consulate or the Visa Waiver for Business.) These visitor visas are not “sponsored” by Tufts and their success and ease of use are less predictable.

Acceptable Payments

  • B-1 & WB visa holders can be paid for honorarium.
  • B-2 & WT visa holders can be reimbursed for expenses and paid honorarium.
  • Activities connected to honorariums cannot exceed a nine-day period.
  • The honorarium can be from different institutions, but it cannot exceed a total of six honoraria.
  • In order to be paid for either an honorarium or reimbursed for expenses, he/she must have either a Social Security Number (if he or she has already obtained one while previously in the U.S. in a different visa category which was social security number eligible) OR must apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), which takes approximately 6 weeks to process. An individual may apply for an ITIN Number from overseas prior to entering the U.S. by completing and submitting IRS W-7 form to the IRS. Departments must plan ahead when thinking of sponsoring anyone on any of these temporary visas. Questions can be directed to Accounts Payable.

Countries eligible for "Visa Waiver" WB or WT visas:
Nationals of the following countries are exempt from the requirement of obtaining a visa stamp to enter the United States in either the B-1 or B-2 categories. The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of certain countries to apply for admission to the U.S. for 90 days or less for the purpose of visitors for short-term business or for pleasure. Visitors entering on the Visa Waiver program cannot involve in employment in the United States or enroll in an academic study program. Visitors entering in the Visa Waiver program will not be permitted to change to another visa category within the United States, nor will they be allowed to extend their stay beyond the ninety day period.