Home |  About Us |  Coming to Tufts |  Immigration |  Taxes & Social Security |  Life at Tufts |  Programs & Orientations |  For Departments  

Immigration: Visa Categories: J-1 Students

Maintaining Status

In order to maintain your legal F-1 or J-1 student status while studying at Tufts, you must do the following:

Enroll full time each semester!
Full-time is defined as either 3 credits per semester (for international graduate students only) or 2 credits and either a Teaching Assistantship or a Research Assistantship every semester.

Make "normal academic progress"
This essentially means, pass your classes! There are exceptions to passing all classes, so if you're having academic difficulty, please see both your academic and International Center advisors as soon as possible.

Do not work off campus!
If you have questions about internships or other off campus employment opportunities, please see your International Center Advisor.

Comply with the health insurance requirement
The health insurance requirement is detailed for you on our website. If you have questions or concerns about this requirement, please be in touch with your International Center Advisor.

Keep your passport valid
If your passport will expire during your stay at Tufts, please contact your embassy in the U.S. to extend or renew your current passport.

Grace Period
J-1 Exchange Visitors are allowed a 30-day grace period after the expiration of their current DS-2019. This grace period is NOT an extension of your status! If you travel outside of the U.S. during your 30-day grace period, you may not reenter in J-1 status.