Home |  About Us |  Coming to Tufts |  Immigration |  Taxes & Social Security |  Life at Tufts |  Programs & Orientations |  For Departments  

Coming to Tufts

Change of Status

If you are currently in a non-immigrant status and wish to change to another non-immigrant status (F2 to F-1, H4 to F1, etc.) to enroll in a Tufts University program, it's important to be aware of certain aspects and procedures involved with a Change of Status (COS).

There are two ways to change your non-immigrant status:

  1. Traveling outside of the U.S. and re-entering with the appropriate documentation
  2. Staying in the U.S. and submitting to USCIS a Change of Status application

Please be aware that planning ahead is crucial. Timing should be carefully considered as changing your status within the U.S. can take USCIS from 3-6 months to be adjudicated.

For many cases, non-immigrants changing their status are unable to receive funding, grants, or scholarship from Tufts University while their COS application is pending. Additionally, depending on which non-immigrant status you are changing from, you may not be able to begin your studies while the COS is pending.

In general all F COS applications must include:

  • I-20 requesting Change of Status
  • I-539 application to Change Status
  • I-539 Fee
  • SEVIS fee receipt
  • Copies of Passport information & Visa pages
  • I-94
  • Appropriate financial documentation

A Change of Status application is submitted individually to USCIS, not by the Tufts International Center on your behalf. However, we are here to advise and assist in the process, as most COS applications have a number of issues and circumstances specific to each individual.

This page is not a comprehensive guide to changing non-immigrant status. We strongly recommend reviewing the USCIS instructions and information to educate yourself regarding the Change of Status process.

If you have further questions and concerns, please email the I-Center.