Search Faculty by:
Department of History
East Hall, room 03
Medford, MA 02155
Email Prof. Manjapra
Associate Professor of History
Program Director, Colonialism Studies
Modern South Asia
Intellectual History, Transnational Studies, Postcolonial Studies
Urban History, Oral History, Digital Humanities
I joined Tufts History
Department in 2008. My research is in modern South Asian and German
history, and I am especially interested in transnational approaches
and postcolonial critical perspectives. My most recent book is
Age of Entanglement: German and Indian intellectuals across Empire.
My work crosses national and imperial boundaries and pursues a
multi-focal study of intellectual history, the history of science
and scholarship, and the history of nineteenth and twentieth
imperialism and international politics. I have written on
anti-colonial cosmopolitanism, trajectories of Marxism, artistic and
philosophical modernism, Orientalism and the politics of
As the co-director of the
South Asia Digital Humanities Lab
at Tufts, I organize the Corpora
project that aims to create an indexed and federated repository of
oral histories, lectures, and other educational audio-visual
materials across disciplines.
I teach courses on South Asia in global context, modern South Asia,
comparative anti-colonialism, modern European intellectual history,
and modern Germany.
- "Transnational Approaches to Global History: A View from the Study of
German-Indian Entanglement", German History, 2014, vol. 32, no. 2, pp 274-293."
- "The Impossible Intimacies of MN Roy",
Postcolonial Studies, 2013, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp 169-184.
- "Knowledgeable Internationalism and the Swadeshi Movement, 1903-1921",
in: Economic and Political Weekly, vol. 47, no. 42, October 20, 2012.
- "Stella Kramrisch and the Bauhaus in Calcutta", in:
The Last Harvest: Paintings of Rabindranath Tagore.
Edited by R. Siva Kumar (Ahmedabad: Mapin, 2011), pp 34-40.
- "From Imperial to International Horizons: A Hermeneutic
Study of Bengali Modernism," in: Modern Intellectual History,
vol. 8, no. 2, August 2011.
- "Introduction" to Cosmopolitan Thought Zones:
South Asia and the Global Circulation of Ideas.
Edited by Sugata Bose and Kris Manjapra (London: Palgrave 2010).
- "Communist Internationalism and Transcolonial
Recognition" in Cosmopolitan Thought Zones, edited
with Sugata Bose (London: Palgrave 2010).
- "The illusions of encounter: Muslim 'minds'
and Hindu revolutionaries in First World War
Germany and after," in: Journal of Global History,
vol. 1, no. 3, November 2006.
Reviews and other projects
to an editors' forum on
The Practices of Transnational Studies"
in New Global Studies New Global Studies, vol. 4, no. 1, March 2010.
- Contribution to Forum on "Asia, Germany, and the Transnational Turn".
Edited by Bradley Naranch in German History, vol. 28, no. 4, December 2010.
Ph.D. Harvard University, 2007
B.A. Harvard University, 2001
- Tufts University Teaching with Technology Award, 2012
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship,
Free University, Berlin, 2010-2011
- NEH Collaborative Research Grant Recipient, 2010
- Berger Family Digital Humanities Research Grant, 2009
- Neubauer Faculty Fellow, Tufts University, 2009-2010
- Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities, UCLA, 2007-2009
- Krupp Foundation Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2004-05
- DAAD Fellowship for Research in Germany, 2004-05