The Business Office is open:
Monday - Friday: 9 am - 5 pm
Please call our
staff at 617-627-3350 if you have a question and we are
The waiver site will open on June 1st at iSIS (Integrated Student Information System) under 'Request'
In order to make an informed decision on waiving or enrolling in
the insurance, please read the NEW
Insurance Information Flyer for 2013-2014 >
If you have comparable Health Insurance coverage which is accepted
in the state of Massachusetts, you can waive the Health Insurance.
Comparable Coverage Letter >
- The Absolute last date to waive the Fall Health Insurance will be
- The Absolute last date to waive the Spring Health Insurance will be
- Any exceptions to this rule will have to Petition Directly with Insurance Company
Health Insurance Requirements:
The state of Massachusetts requires that all full time students
attending universities in this state have health insurance.
They further list minimum requirements for what insurance plans
do and do not qualify as comparable coverage.
It is very important that you understand what these requirements
are so that you can carefully plan and budget for these expenses.
As you prepare to attend Tufts University, rather than simply directing
you to the link for the state of Massachusetts Student Health Insurance
Plan information, we are highlighting in this letter the minimum requirements
of plans that will be accepted as well as what specific benefit levels
would be excluded from coverage.
Please carefully review this checklist:
- My plan must have a valid US address. International policies cannot be accepted, according to state requirements.
- My plan provides and maintains coverage for the full 2014-2015 academic year, as well as evacuation and repatriation benefits.
- My plan must provide reasonably comprehensive coverage of health services, including primary care, emergency services,
surgical services, hospitalization benefits, ambulatory patient services, and mental health services, and these services
must be reasonably accessible to me in the area where I am attending school.
- My plan must provide unlimited coverage for prescriptions for the 2014-2015 academic years.
- My plan does not limit coverage for a pre-existing condition.
- My plan does not impose an annual or lifetime limit for essential health benefits.
- I understand that a health insurance plan that provides coverage through a closed network of providers,
not reasonably accessible to me in the area where I attend school, for all but emergency services does not
qualify for a waiver. Examples of closed networks include students enrolled in MassHealth Limited or the
Children's Medical Security Program or the Health Safety Net, Kaiser Permanente Insurance and out
of state Medicaid programs.