of Child Study and
105 College Avenue
Medford, MA 02155
Richard M. Lerner
Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science
Director, Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development
Ph.D. City University of New York
M.A. Hunter College of the City University of New York
- John P. Hill Memorial Award for Life-Time Outstanding Work, the Society for
Research on Adolescence, 2010
- Tufts University Distinguished Scholar Award, 2008
- Society for the Study of Human Development Mentor Award, 2007
- New England Psychological Association (NEPA) Distinguished Scholar Award, 2003
- National 4-H Council: Visionary Scholar and Leader Award, May 11, 2001
- Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science, Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study and Human Development, Tufts University, 1999-present
- Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study of Human Development, Brown University,
September 1999-August 2000
- Anita L. Brennan Professor of Education, School of Education, Boston College,
- Mack and Effie Campbell Tyner Eminent Scholar Chair in the Department of Family,
Child, and Consumer Sciences, College of Human Sciences, Florida State
- Ph.D. Alumni Special Achievement Award, City University of New York, 1989
- Lansdowne Visiting Scholar, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada,
- Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Bildungsforschung, Berlin, Germany,
- AMOCO Foundation Outstanding Teaching Award, The Pennsylvania State University,
- Hunter College Hall of Fame (Elected 1981)
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, 1980-1981
- Distinguished Visitor Program, American Psychological Association, 1980-1981
- Strathmore's "Who's Who," Honored member, Registry 1998-99
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Charter Fellow, American Psychological Society
- Fellow, American Psychological Association (Division 2: Teaching of Psychology,
Division 7: Developmental Psychology, Division 9: Society for the Psychological
Study of Social Issues)
- Charter Fellow, American Association of Applied and Preventive Psychology, Sigma
Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, National Honor Society for
Psychology (Psi Chi), Kappa Omicron Nu (Omicron Alpha Chapter), National Home
Economics Honor Society
Scholarship & Research
The application of developmental science across the life span; developmental
systems theory; personality and social development in adolescence; developmental
methodology; programs and policies for children, youth, and families;
university-community collaboration and outreach scholarship.
Lerner, R. M., Easterbrooks, A. M., & Mistry, J. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of
psychology: Vol. 6. Developmental psychology (2nd ed.).
Editor-in- Chief: I. B. Weiner. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Lerner, J. V., & Benson, J. B. (Eds.). (2011). Positive
Youth Development: Research and Applications for Promoting Thriving in
Adolescence. London, England: Elsevier.
Warren, A.E.A., Lerner, R. M., & Phelps, E. (Eds.). (2011). Thriving and
spirituality among youth: Research perspectives and future possibilities.
Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M. (Editor-in-Chief). (2010). The Handbook of Life-span
Development. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Hood, K. E., Halpern, C. T., Greenberg, G., & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2010).
The handbook of developmental science, behavior and genetics. Malden, MA:
Lerner, R. M., & Steinberg, L. (Eds.). (2009). Handbook of adolescent
psychology (3rd Ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Roeser, R. W., & Phelps, E. (Eds.). (2008). Positive youth
development and spirituality: From theory to research. West
Conshohocken, PA: Templeton Foundation Press.
Silbereisen, R. K., & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2007). Approaches to positive
youth development. London: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M. (2007). The Good Teen: Rescuing Adolescents from the Myths
of the Storm and Stress Years. New York, NY: The Crown Publishing Group.
W. Damon, & Lerner, R. M. (Editors-in-chief). (2006). Handbook of Child
Psychology (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Jacobs, F., & Wertlieb, D. (2005). Applied developmental
science: An advanced textbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Fisher, C. B. & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2005). Encyclopedia of applied
developmental science. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., Brown, J. D., & Kier, C. (2005). Adolescence: Development,
Diversity, Context, and Application. Canadian Edition. Toronto: Pearson.
Lerner, R. M. (2004). Liberty: Thriving and civic engagement among
America's youth. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., & Steinberg, L. (Eds.). (2004). Handbook of Adolescent
Psychology (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Jacobs, F., & Wertlieb, D. (Eds.). (2003). Applying
developmental science for youth and families: Historical and theoretical
foundations. Volume 1 of Handbook of applied developmental science: Promoting
positive child, adolescent, and family development through research, policies,
and programs. Editors: Richard M. Lerner, Francine Jacobs, and Donald
Wertlieb. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., Easterbrooks, M. A., & Mistry, J. (Eds.). (2003). Handbook of
psychology: Vol. 6. Developmental psychology. Editor-in- Chief: I. B.
Weiner. New York: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Taylor, C. S., & von Eye, A. (Eds.). (2002). Pathways to
positive development among diverse youth. New directions for youth development:
Theory, practice, and research. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Lerner, R. M. (Ed.). (2002). Concepts and theories of human development
(3rd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.