Department of English
6 The Green
Medford, MA 02155
Senior Honors Thesis Advisor
Ph.D., University of Michigan
MA, University of Chicago
BA, Harvard University
In recent years I have taught courses on The Modern European Novel (including Zola and Proust), Jazz History, Blues, The Irish Literary Renaissance, Nonfiction writing, Ulysses, Virginia Woolf, DH Lawrence; T.S. Eliot, Yeats.
- Jazz Lives, New Republic Books, 1980
- Jazz from its Origins to the Present, Prentice Hall, 1992: this has become the standard jazz history, used at Brown, Harvard, Tufts, Manhattan School of Music, etc.
- The Vintage Guide to Jazz, Vintage Books (in progress)
Essays in books
- Miles Davis in Retrospect,
The Miles Davis Reader, Smithsonian Press, 1997
- The Jazz Clarinet, The New Grove Encyclopedia of Jazz, ed. Bill Kirchner
- The Changeling and Ulysses, a talk on James Joyce delivered June 13, 2004 at the International Joyce Symposium in Dublin called
- On February 28th, 2006, I gave the paper �In Defense of Biography: Duke Ellington� to the northeast meeting of the American Musicological Society.
- I have written 83 fourteen page columns on jazz for
Fanfare Magazine, for which I also write classical reviews. Essays over the years in the Atlantic Monthly, New Republic, Mother Jones, Georgia Review, Boston Globe, Boston Magazine, New Boston Review, Boston Phoenix, and other publications. Six of these articles and approximately thirty reviews appeared in the last year. For three years I had a column,
Michael Ullman on Jazz in The New Republic, and for five, I was the Boston Globe's main jazz reviewer.