Department of English
6 The Green
Room 204, East Hall
Medford, MA 02155
Ph.D., English, Stanford University
M.A., English, Stanford University
B.A., English and Psychology, University of
- Denver Post – Best Book of the Year,
- New York Times – Notable Book of the
Year, 2006, 1993
- Boston Globe – Book of the Year,
- The Economist – Best Book of the
Year, Science and Technology, 2003
- Discover – Top Science Book of the
- Bloomsbury Review – Editors'
Favorite Book of 2003
- L.L. Winship/ PEN New England Award,
- Village Voice – Best Book of the
- Library Journal – Best Sci-Tech Book
of the Year, 1993
- Sir Peter Kent Conservation Book
Prize (Britain) – Finalist, 1991
- Elephant Reflections. Berkeley:
University of California Press, 2009
- Jane Goodall: The Woman Who
Redefined Man. Boston: Houghton Mifflin,
2006. Translated into Korean.
- Eating Apes. Berkeley, CA:
University of California Press, 2003.
Translated into Japanese.
- Beyond Innocence: Jane Goodall's
Autobiography in Letters, the Later
Years. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2001.
- Africa in my Blood: Jane Goodall's
Autobiography in Letters, the Early
Years. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.
Translated into Chinese.
- Storyville, USA. Athens: University
of Georgia, 1999.
- Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins
of Human Violence. Co-authored with
Richard Wrangham. Boston: Houghton
Mifflin, 1996. Translated into Chinese,
Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese,
Korean, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- Chimpanzee travels: On and Off the
Road in Africa. Reading, MA:
Addison-Wesley, 1995. Translated into
- Visions of Caliban: On Chimpanzees
and People. Co-authored with Jane
Goodall. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1993.
Translated into Chinese, German, and
Polish; recorded for the blind.
- The Deluge and the Ark: A Journey
into Primate Worlds. Boston: Houghton