Department of Education
Medford, MA 02155
Research Assistant Professor
- Ph.D., Harvard University, Physics Education
- Ed.M., Harvard Graduate School of Education
- B.S., Rice University, Physics
Jessica received her BS in chemical physics from Rice University in
2002. After working for two years in higher education, she went on
to earn her EdM from Harvard Graduate School of Education in 2005.
In 2010, she received a PhD from Harvard University on research
conducted on underrepresented students' performances and experiences
in introductory physics courses taught using Peer Instruction.
During a two-year postdoctoral position at University of Maryland,
she examined an undergraduate organismal biology course, focusing on
the nature of the interdisciplinary tasks and student practices
integrating biology, mathematics, and physics. Now at Tufts
University, she is excited to work on another interdisciplinary
project, looking at the integration of engineering and literacy
activities in elementary schools.
- Watkins, J., Coffey, J. E., Cooke, T. J., and Redish, E. F.
(accepted). "Disciplinary authenticity: Enriching the reforms of
introductory physics courses for life-science students." Phys. Rev.
ST - PER.
- Watkins, J. and Mazur, E. (submitted). "Peer Instruction and student
retention in STEM majors."
- Dreyfus, B. W., Redish, E. F., and Watkins, J. (2011). "Students'
Views of Macroscopic and Microscopic Energy in Physics and Biology."
Physics Education Research Conference Proceedings 2011, AIP
- Hall, K., Watkins, J., Coffey, J., Cooke, T. J., and Redish, E. F.
(2011). "Examining the Impact of Student Expectations on
College-level Curricular Reform." American Educational Research
Association 2011 Conference.
- Watkins, J., Hall, K., Redish, E. F., and Cooke, T. J. (2010).
"Understanding How Students Use Physical Ideas in Introductory
Biology Courses." Physics Education Research Conference Proceedings
2010, AIP Conference Proceedings.
- Watkins, J. and Mazur, E. (2009). "Using JiTT with Peer
Instruction." In Just in Time Teaching Across the Disciplines, Eds.
S. Simkins and M. Maier. pp. 39-62.
- Lasry, N., Mazur, E., and Watkins, J. (2008). "Peer Instruction:
From Harvard to Community Colleges." American Journal of Physics,
- Crouch, C. Watkins, J. Fagen, A., and Mazur, E. (2006). "Peer
Instruction: Engaging students one-on-one, all-at-once." In Reviews
in Physics Education Research, Eds. E.F. Redish and P. Cooney.