Department of Education
Paige Hall, Office 301
Medford, MA 02155
Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of
Director of the Program in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Director of the MA in Educational Studies
Co-Chair, Board of Directors, the Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and Sexuality at MIT
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Departments of Educational Policy
Studies and Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed., Vanderbilt University, Peabody College, Secondary English Education
- B.A., University of Washington, English
Sabina E. Vaught is Associate Professor and Interim Chair of
Education. She is Director of the Program in Women's, Gender, and
Sexuality Studies and holds affiliations in Africana, American, and
Colonialism Studies at Tufts. Dr. Vaught's scholarship and teaching
are concerned with
the production, disruption, and exchange of knowledge across
powered, institutional terrains. Her forthcoming book,
Compulsory: Education and the Dispossession of Youth in a Juvenile
Prison School (University of Minnesota Press) is a critical
ethnography of one state’s juvenile prison schooling system. She
received her doctorate in Education from the University of
Wisconsin-Madison. She is a former high school English teacher.
- ED161 Anthropology and Sociology of Schooling
- ED163 Philosophies
- ED167 Critical Race Theory Seminar
- ED169 Radical Lesbian Thought
- ED170 Critical Educational Policy Studies
- ED191 Pedagogies
- ED192 Issues In Critical Qualitative Research
- WGSS 190 Doing Feminist Research
- Vaught, S. & Hernández, G. (2016). To whom it may concern:
Epistolary political philosophies and the production of racial
counterpublic knowledge in the United States. Educational
Philosophy and Theory, 48(5), 459-483.
- Vaught, S. (2014). Structural liberalism and anti-bullying
legislation. Equity & Excellence in Education, 47(2),
- Vaught, S. (2012). Institutional grief: Prison, schooling,
and racist melancholia, Harvard Educational Review,
- Vaught, S. (2012). Hate speech in a juvenile male prison
school and in U.S. schooling, The Urban Review, 44(2),
- Vaught, S. (2011). Racism, public schooling, and the
entrenchment of White Supremacy: a critical race ethnography.
Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Vaught, S. (2017). Compulsory: Education and the
dispossession of youth in a juvenile prison school.
Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.