Research Paper Class
A research paper course requires a substantive piece of economic
an integral part of the course. Individual research paper courses
will vary according to the course topic and instructor's teaching
style. To be designated as a research paper course, however, the
class must satisfy the following criteria:
- A research paper must count for at least 25 percent of the course grade.
- A research paper course must have at least one core course as a
- The research paper should involve original thought.
- The research paper should be a substantive piece of work involving
the following elements:
- it should have a well defined
hypothesis or question that the paper is capable of
- it should include instructor feedback
at various stages of the writing process. (For example,
students might be required to undertake the following
sequential assignments: short paper topic description,
outline, bibliography, first draft, final draft);
- it should involve multiple drafts;
- it should marshal the appropriate
evidence to engage in a critical analysis of the economic
theories or conjectures relevant to the underlying
hypothesis or question.