Preliminary Assessment of
Priority One Recommendations

The Oversight Panel met twelve times during the 1998-99 year. Its goals were to 1) establish formal procedures for the selection of students to the Panel; 2) evaluate the implementation status of the Priority 1 recommendations from the Task Force on Race; and 3) report to the community and the President and Vice President on our assessment, and where appropriate, suggest means for facilitating implementation. The first goal has been realized, and the second has been underway for most of the Spring semester. We are here this evening to provide the student community with information about the status of the Priority 1 recommendations, as one part of achieving goal 3.

Of the 24 Priority 1 recommendations, 3 of them (1, 3, and 23) are complete. Two of them (4 and 17) require no action. It has been determined that it is inappropriate to relocate the Office of Equal Opportunity to Ballou Hall, and there is no intent to combine the Culture Centers into one unit. The remaining 19 recommendations fall into two categories. The first group is considered "In Place" -- that is, the recommendation has required the institution of a new practice or activity that will continue, so it cannot be considered to be "Complete" as the new practice or activity should continue and be ongoing. There are 8 recommendations that lie in this group (2, 5, 7, 8, 12, 18, 19, 21). The second category is "In Progress". Eleven recommendations fall under this heading (6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24). These items are now either in the planning stage or are partially implemented, but work is still needed before they can be considered to be "In Place". Therefore, out of 22 recommendations that required action, 11 are complete or in place and 11 are in the process of being implemented. None of the Priority 1 recommendations has been ignored.

The Oversight Panel has identified four areas that we believe merit re-examination of the ways in which the recommendations are being implemented. Our intent is to encourage more substantive changes in the culture of the university as well as more thoughtful dialogue about the significance of the changes. These will be outlined briefly below.

1) Recommendation 2: Institution of Administrative workshops on race/diversity. Several workshops have been held in recent years. We suggest the development of an ongoing program of workshops that focus on change management with respect to awareness and sensitivity to differences (e.g., relations among races, peoples of different sexual orientations and socioeconomic classes, and between genders). These workshops should be conducted by individuals specializing in institutions of higher education who are in no way affiliated with Tufts, and run perhaps on a biannual basis. Informing the student body about the occurrence of these workshops would be a step in re-establishing trustful relationships between the students and the administration.

2) Recommendation 6: Intellectual climate, three new faculty positions, curricular gaps: This is one of the most difficult recommendations to implement, and we have divided this recommendation into its 3 components to present information about the way in which it is being implemented. First, it is clear that both faculty and administrators recognize that our faculty and curriculum should "create an intellectual climate that acknowledges the importance of race and ethnicity". However, there are differences in the approaches to fulfilling this ideal.

The Administration has chosen to follow the second part of this recommendation by seeking to hire faculty of color throughout the disciplines and to hire faculty that will "infuse ethnic perspectives across the curriculum". This is a different action than the original Task Force recommendation to hire three new faculty in American race and ethnic studies. Requests for new faculty hires/positions originate with faculty in the departments, who request particular positions. If the requests do not include positions to teach in race and ethnic studies, for example, the Administration cannot mandate departments to hire such faculty. The Administration has strongly encouraged the hiring of faculty of color and women by establishing focused recruitment searches and "window of opportunity" searches, and there has been good success in bringing underrepresented groups into our faculty via these routes.

The hiring of minority faculty thus far has not met the recognized need to fill the curricular gaps recognized in Latino/a studies and Asian American studies -- the third part of this recommendation. This spring, the reality of these gaps has finally been widely recognized and accepted through the Administration (though it is less clear that the faculty in general are aware of them). With the release of the study on the curriculum by the EPC later this semester, there may be further impetus to aggressively seek faculty with these specialties. Again, this will require cooperative action from the departments and their faculty, where ownership of the curriculum resides. The Administration alone cannot successfully implement this recommendation.

3) Recommendation 8: Financial aid initiatives in the Capital Campaign. It is important to separate the activities of Arts and Sciences from those of Development in this recommendation. There are 3 ongoing projects: the Capital Campaign, A&S internal efforts through reallocation of funds, and an additional request from A&S to Development for fundraising beyond the original Capital Campaign goals. Development has already achieved success in its Capital Campaign goals for financial aid for A&S, and by July plans to be over 50% of the way to its goal of $44 million by 2002. Development has similarly done well in its target of $64.7 million by 2002 (this is for the whole university). Arts and Sciences is working diligently to significantly increase the financial aid available for students by 50% over the next 5 years, largely through internal reallocation and budget reduction. One of the enablers for A&S to achieve this goal is a new request for Development to raise an additional $25 million - beyond their Capital Campaign target. Our concerns are that we would like to see Development be more forthcoming and specific about its strategies for the ways in which it is raising money for aid to students of color (for example, what new monies are available this year that were not available last year? What scholarships have been developed?). It is vital that Development and Arts and Sciences communicate this information to students (and to faculty) to demonstrate good faith, and also to recognize that members of the community may be good ambassadors in the fundraising quest.

4) Recommendation 9: Race/diversity in Orientation. The Oversight Panel is aware that Orientation is a very busy time for first-year students, but we question that the only significant part of the week devoted to race and diversity issues is through the Many Voices panel. Our concerns are that the panel and subsequent discussions are so student-driven, with little administrative framing or contextualization of the issues, that too much responsibility for the issues are thrust on the small group of "representative" students who speak before the group. We wonder whether the panel is truly an effective teaching tool as it is now constructed. We would encourage the Orientation committee to bring in an outside consultant to evaluate the panel piece of Orientation, and determine whether it could be reframed to be more relevant, meaningful, and educational to students. One initial activity to assist in this process would be for an evaluation of how effectively race/diversity issues are dealt with in Orientation, perhaps both through a self-evaluation process in the Orientation committee and through an evaluation of the panel program by the students.

The Oversight Panel commends the Administration for the efforts that have been made thus far in implementing the Task Force recommendations, and for the successes that have been achieved. However, we recognize that there is still significant work to be done in placing the recommendations into action. We will continue to monitor and assess the implementation of the recommendations that are in place and in progress, and will seek annual reports on progress. Recommendations that we are particularly interested in following, in addition to those discussed above, include those related to the Culture Centers. We are pleased with the support that the Administration has provided, and we encourage that support to continue and be enhanced in any ways possible. For instance, renovations and/or modifications of existing space in the Centers might go a long way toward making the space more useful, and dissemination of information about the Centers to prospective students (both students of color and white majority students) would demonstrate that the university is proud of the Centers through its actions, which usually speak louder than words.

One of the critical parts of implementation, however, is the communication to students that indeed steps are being taken, and what these steps are. It cannot be the Oversight Panel's job to do this communication. Each office will benefit from aggressive information release of how it is implementing these recommendations, and of other initiatives it is taking. Such flow of information will help defuse the prevailing feeling that 1) nothing is happening, or 2) things are happening but the students who are most impacted by race/diversity problems on campus feel uninformed.

The final observation for this report is that the work of the Task Force on Race focused on only one population (undergraduates) and on only one aspect of that population (race). It is timely to consider that our community could apply many of these recommendations as well to issues of homophobia and gender discrimination, for example, and that graduate students and staff have long been ignored in most such discussions. We hope that offices responsible for implementing recommendations give thought to how their changes in policies, practices, and procedures could be expanded to address the wider community at Tufts.

Oversight Panel members, 1998-99: Faculty: Anne Gardulski, Chair (Geology), Lin Brown (Civil and Environmental Engineering), Gerald Gill (History), Jayanthi Mistry (Child Development). Staff: Badi Foster (Lincoln-Filene Center). Graduate student: Virginia Diez (Education). Undergraduate students: Sasha Baltins (senior), Sean Hassan (junior) (Spring, 1999), Meena Thever (junior) (Fall, 1998). Administrative liaison: Michaele Whelan (ex officio).






Responses to the
Oversight Panel's Questionnaire
Regarding Implementation of the
Priority 1 Recommendations from the
Report of the Task Force on Race

Spring 1999



Recommendation 1


Recommendation 1: An oversight panel of faculty, administrators, and students should be formed to oversee the implementation of the Task Force's recommendations. (P.4) Respondents: Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
  1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
    The oversight panel, composed of faculty, undergraduate and graduate students and staff, was established and has been in operation since the fall of 1998. It meets every two weeks and formally reports to the community at least once a year.
  2. Resources
    1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation? Not applicable.
    2. Are new resources required? From where will they come? Not applicable.
  3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
    Already implemented.
  4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
    - Press releases in Daily
    - V. P. letter to community
    - Yearly public meeting
    - Chair of panel will report to faculty
    1. Who is responsible for communication?
      Shared by Oversight Panel and Office of VP
    2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
      Shared by Oversight Panel and Office of VP



Recommendation 2


Recommendation 2: All administration personnel, including the Academic and Administrative Deans, Budget and Fiscal Officer, Assistants and Assistant Deans should participate in a workshop that deals exclusively with issues of race awareness and diversity. This workshop should be a two-day commitment that may be modeled after the Teaching Diverse Populations workshops. (P.4)

Respondents: Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
  1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
    - In 1993, 3 external consultants conducted a 2 day diversity training session on race and power relations for the Provost, Vice-President, and a large group of administrators of A&S. This was followed by a joint 1-day program for the support staff of Admissions and Dean of Students Office. - In July 1994, Brian McDonald of MOR Consultants conducted a goal-setting workshop on diversity for Policy Council (the executive group of administrative and academic deans in Arts & Sciences.) - June 1997, Jane Tuohy of Charles River Consultants conducted a full-day diversity workshop for Policy Council. - March 1998, all day workshop conducted by Office of Diversity for Policy Council. - Together, these workshops have provided training, discussion of case studies, goal-setting, and outlining plans in individual administrative areas.
  2. Resources
    1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
      Resources will continue to be made available for workshops.
    2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      Not applicable.
  3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
    Continuous progress.
  4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
    Not a specific communication item. Likely to be included in overall assessment of progress.
    1. Who is responsible for communication?
      Not applicable.
    2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
      Not applicable.



Recommendation 3


Recommendation 3: A newly defined Office for Faculty and Staff Education and Development should be created that will develop initiatives to promote race and diversity awareness. (P.5)

Respondents:
Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
Wayne Bouchard, Dean of Administration

Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
  1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
    This recommendation has been implemented. We acted on the interim Report of the Task Force on Race. [Wayne Bouchard] This recommendation has been implemented already.
  2. Resources
    1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
      The Office for Faculty and Staff Education & Development has 2 full-time professionals with a total current budget of $132,300.
    2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      Additional resources will be considered and then identified in response to specific needs.
  3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation? Accomplished.
  4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
    Conveyed in A&S faculty meetings, by letter to community from the VP.
    1. Who is responsible for communication?
      Not applicable.
    2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
      Not applicable.



Recommendation 4


Recommendation 4: We recommend the Office of Equal Opportunity be relocated to Ballou Hall (P.7)

Respondents: Sol Gittleman, Provost
  1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
    Over the years this has been a subject brought to various OEO directors. Most of them wanted to keep the office out of Ballou. They reasoned that people were at ease taking confidential and private matters related perhaps to sexual harassment to a space not in Ballou. The users want a degree of privacy. Walking into an office in Ballou does not provide it.
  2. Resources
    1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
      NA
    2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      NA
  3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
    NA
  4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
    1. Who is responsible for communication?
    2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



Recommendation 5


Recommendation 5:
Administrators should take every opportunity to incorporate themes of diversity, race, and tolerance in speeches. (P.7)

Respondents:
Sol Gittleman, Provost
Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
Susan Ernst, Dean for Natural Sciences and Social Sciences
Leila Fawaz, Dean for Arts and Humanities
Ioannis Miaoulis, Dean of Engineering

Sol Gittleman, Provost
  1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
    I speak regularly at Tufts Alliances, alumni meetings, and other Tufts associated activities. As a matter of routine I talk about the issues and themes of diversity, race and tolerance, both as advocacy and within the historical context of Tufts and America.
  2. Resources
  3. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
    NA
  4. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
    No
  • What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
    NA
  • How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
    NA
    1. Who is responsible for communication?
    2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


    Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
    1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      At every available opportunity, in meetings with various constituencies, in his letters to the community, the VP states that diversity, race & tolerance are an A&S priority. In fact, diversity emerged as a clear community priority from the Higher Education Initiative and is a crucial element of the strategic plan.
    2. Resources
      1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation? Are new resources required? From where will they come?
        Not applicable.
    3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      NA
    4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
      NA
      1. Who is responsible for communication?
      2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


    Susan Ernst, Dean for Natural Sciences and Social Sciences
    In my capacity as Dean of Natural Sciences and Social Sciences, most of my "speeches" are short welcoming or introductory remarks. At these events, I frequently have the opportunity to include themes of diversity, race and tolerance in my remarks. Recent examples include:

    March 10, 1999
    Opening remarks for the 10th Anniversary Chinese Society for Women's Studies Conference.

    March 17, 1999
    Remarks at the Graduate Student Diversity Forum. This recommendation does not require new resources, nor is there a specific timeline for implementation.

    Ioannis Miaoulis, Dean of Engineering
    Although I don't give too many speeches of general nature, I occasionally get invited to speak about girls and women in science and engineering. As you know, one of the most underrepresented groups in engineering is women of all races. Our college is nationwide recognized as a leader in attracting and retaining women students and faculty. Approximately 30% of our students and 12% - 18% of our faculty, depending how you count, are women. The national averages are 19% and 4%. Our success in this area is the reason I get invited to speak on the topic. Engineering speeches don't generally lend themselves to introduce gender and race elements. We make every effort to convey to the public our special projects and efforts to attract both women and minority members to our community. We have not been as successful with the latter group, so we are currently targeting some of our outreach programs in science and technology education to schools with large numbers of minority students.

    Leila Fawaz, Dean for Arts and Humanities
    Themes of diversity, race, and tolerance are easy to integrate for a dean of humanities and arts, where such issues are at the heart of the Division. No new resources are required to integrate such theme's in the Dean's talks.


    Recommendation 6


    Recommendation 6: To create an intellectual climate that acknowledges the importance of race and ethnicity and that meets the needs of an increasingly diverse student body, we strongly recommend – in addition to encouraging faculty to incorporate United States race and ethnic content in the existing curriculum – the addition of at least three new tenure track positions in American race and ethic studies, that these positions be split positions between the existing American Studies program and home departments, and that faculty of color are sought for these positions through focussed recruitment searches. (P.15)

    Respondents:
    Sol Gittleman, Provost
    Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
    Susan Ernst, Dean for Natural and Social Sciences
    Leila Fawaz, Dean for Arts and Humanities
    Ioannis Miaoulis, Dean of Engineering

    Sol Gittleman, ProvostMel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
    1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      I expressed my thoughts on allocation of faculty positions in my letter to you. Issues of split appointments, strengthening of American Studies or other academic programs and departments will be left to the Arts and Sciences Administration.
    2. Resources
      1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        If the administration of A&S chooses to, it may re-allocate. It is a zero-sum game. If they add one, they must subtract from another.
      2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
        It all depends.
    3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      Check with A&S administration.
    4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
      A&S administration
      1. Who is responsible for communication?
        A&S administration
      2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
        See above.


    Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
    1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      Currently, the Academic Deans and I have been following a policy of infusing ethnic perspectives across all departments. Several faculty hired in recent years do teach departmental courses that could be considered ethnic studies. These positions are not shared by American Studies, though he remains open to this possibility, or to modifying this approach in the future. American Studies has been in transition with shifts in the participation of it senior faculty. In addition, there are two concerns about joint appointments: there is the practical impediment that tenure-line faculty cannot hold positions in a program by bylaw; also there are serious barriers for faculty development for junior faculty holding joint appointments.

      Each year, the deans ask all faculty how they have incorporated race and ethnic studies in their existing curriculum (the Faculty Information Form, questions number 5)

      This summer we will be supporting faculty development for curricular innovation and enrichment by encouraging proposals that build on faculty priorities identified in the Higher Education initiative and the Task Force on Race. Funds will be available to support course development in the areas of diversity and ethics.
    2. Resources
      1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        We have allocated existing resources each year for hiring faculty from underrepresented groups and will continue to do so.
      2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
        Current funding is earmarked for diversity hires. In addition, we are planning to allocated one half million every year for diversity initiatives in Arts & Sciences. This will be monies identified over the next four years, coming from budget reallocation and savings.
    3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      Incorporating race and ethnic studies into the curriculum continues to be a major priority of the Academic Deans.
    4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
      The VP provides a yearly review of diversity hiring and curricular development to the A&S faculty. He also discusses diversity initiatives and progress in his letters to the faculty in the fall and spring; he would welcome similar discussions with student groups.
      1. Who is responsible for communication?
        VP
      2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
        The VP welcomes presenting information to students in the culture centers and the TCU Senate. There are plans to develop other communication approaches, e.g., the web, a newsletter, etc…


    Susan Ernst, Dean for Natural and Social Sciences
    Please see response by Vice President Bernstein.

    Leila Fawaz, Dean for Arts and Humanities
    1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      Split positions before tenure put a heavy burden on young faculty we should protect. This, plus the fact American Studies underwent a transition with shifts in the participation of some of its senior faculty, led us to invite Am. Studies faculty to have a retreat to plan the next decade. We will work with them to strengthen ethic studies and race in a way that will benefit all parties involved.
    2. Resources
      1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        Existing resources have been allocated to the purposes at hand with a policy to invite "windows of opportunity" positions in different positions.
      2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
        They have been found to hire more faculty than was expected on two occasions in the last two years.
    3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation? Immediate and ongoing implementations. A lot of progress has been made in the recent past and this will continue.
    4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
      Yearly updates.
      1. Who is responsible for communication?
        Vice President
      2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
        Vice President replied to this already, Please check his comments.


    Ioannis Miaoulis, Dean of Engineering
    Recommendation relevant to creation of curriculum on race and ethnic content and hiring of at least 3 faculty members in race and ethnic studies. This area is beyond my jurisdiction and control. The Dean of the Colleges and the Deans of Liberal Arts make the decisions on these items. If such a curriculum is developed, it could be incorporated to our Engineering curriculum via our Humanity and Social Science Requirement.

    In general my office is aggressively working in attracting and retaining faculty and students from underrepresented groups by high profile activities in pre K-12 science and technology education, active recruiting of faculty from such groups, and by working closely with Margery and Jean's office to establish faculty support and mentorship programs.


    Recommendation 7


    Recommendation 7: We recommend, in addition to continued annual offering of the existing Faculty Workshop on Teaching Diverse Populations, the establishment of a faculty development and training program for Curricular and Pedagogical Transformation for An Inclusive Academic Environment no later than the summer of 1999. (P.17)

    Respondents:
    Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
    Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology

    Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
    1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      1. The Office of Diversity Education and Development [ODED] will offer the following activities:
        1. "Information sessions" – short 45 minute sessions designed to give a brief overview of ODED, to explore a particular topic related to diversity in the Arts and Sciences, and suggest further resources for exploration or support.
        2. "Individual and Departmental Consultations" – to be provided at the request of departments/programs or individuals in the following areas: conducting a diversity climate survey for the department or program; evaluating how well diversity is integrated in a department's curriculum and requirements; improving the recruitment of a diverse student body for a department or program; discussing cross-racial, cross-cultural communication within the department/program.
        3. "Diversity Needs Assessments" – ODED will collaborate with interested individuals/departments to decide on necessary data and appropriate assessment tools.
        4. "Faculty Professional Development Workshops" – to increase faculty comfort and skills in their teaching and teaching-related activities with a diverse student population.
      2. ODED is also carrying out a pilot project on Diversity Competence in the Workplace with a group of A&S staff.
      3. ODED staff has been involved in a number of different projects offering training for students, e.g. training for Resident Assistants, and for peer leaders for the International Student Orientation.

        [Mel Bernstein] Answered by Office of Diversity, Education and Development
    2. Resources
      1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        Resources already allocated - ODED staff time.
      2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
        NA
    3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      Implementation begun and projects ongoing.
    4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
      1. Who is responsible for communication?
        ODED
      2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 8


      Recommendation 8: We recommend that the financial aid initiatives in the Capital Campaign be aggressively pursued, and urge the Development Office to keep this at its highest priority in fundraising efforts. Endowed scholarships appropriate for underrepresented groups should receive special attention.

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Gary Lowe, Development Office
      David Cuttino, Dean of Admissions

      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        We have a clear commitment from the Board of Trustees and the President that financial aid is one of our top priorities now and in the future. Given this priority, we have been aggressively pursing scholarship support for underrepresented groups, recently achieving some success
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Financial aid allocations discussed as part of the strategic plan presented to A&S faculty on 2/1/99 by VP
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          Internal resources will be found from budget reallocations and administrative savings.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Ongoing, with most of the needed funding identified over the next four years.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        - letters
        - press releases
        - meetings with impacted constituencies
        - one of the Diversity Dialogs was devoted to financial aid
        - material available on-line
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


      Gary Lowe, Development Office
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        1. University development will continue to aggressively pursue the $64.7 million goal for financial aid endowment within Tufts tomorrow and A&S will continue to aggressively pursue its own goal of $44 million.
        2. The University will attempt to mount a multi-million dollar challenge fund to leverage additional gifts for financial aid, including endowed scholarships appropriate for underrepresented groups.
        3. A&S will strive to secure at least $375,000 to match the first half of the Leslie and Bruce Male $250,000 challenge to build endowed scholarships for needy students who have arrived at Tufts "against all odds."
        4. A&S will expand its annual President-hosted Scholarship Donor & Recipient event to include donors and recipients from other schools within the university.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          New resources will be raised from outside sources as stated above.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        In the Spring of 1999, President–hosted Donor & Recipient event is expanded.
        1. By June 30, 1999, University development and A&S Development will seek to achieve $55 million and $25 million, respectively toward this goal.
        2. To be completed by June 30, 1999.
        3. This initial phase to be completed by June 30, 1999.
        4. By the Spring of 1999.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        Progress will be conveyed by Tufts communications via its several periodicals and publications, as well as by quarterly achievement reports from University Development.
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
          Gail Bambrick, for the periodicals and publications indicated above.
          Nina Mayer, for the quarterly achievement report from Development.
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          Gail Bambrick


      David Cuttino, Dean of Admissions
      1. Additional funding (Calder) has been obtained to reduce loans and increase grants for low-income students from the five boroughs of New York with the expectation that most of the students identified will be students of color. In conjunction with this new endowment, special efforts are being instituted through the Tufts Inquiry Program to develop programmatic relationships with an increased number of high schools with large Student of Color populations. Further efforts will be made to involve alumni in working with these schools to assist and encourage students, to raise the knowledge of Tufts and interest in enrolling. Other efforts are being made to explore expanding this initiative to other areas of the country.
      2. A small financial aid gift has been raised to recognize and encourage talented Latino students to come to Tufts.
      3. A special effort has been instituted to increase financial aid funds by 50% over the next four years through additional fund raising, greater support from endowment and operational savings. This effort will include additional support to recognize and encourage the enrollment of Students of Color.



      Recommendation 9


      Recommendation 9: We recommend that the Orientation Committee restructure Orientation to infuse race and diversity awareness throughout the week, including better utilization of Centers in Orientation, and ways to highlight minority contributions to Tufts and opportunities for students of color. (P.20)

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        1. Infuse race and diversity awareness
          1. Since 1984, films followed by discussion have been used at Orientation. Examples of the films used are: a Bill Cosby short film on stereotypes and prejudice, "I'm different; You're Different; We're All Okay", "Our House", and "Religion at Tufts: Believing and Belonging" (the latter three videos made at Tufts). The discussions were peer-led in the beginning and then were replaced by student panels. In 1997, to comply with student wishes, an optional discussion after the student panels led by trained faculty and administrators was instituted. Enthusiastic though limited response led to the development of a pilot program. Student response has been favorable enough to merit expansion of the pilot program for 1999. Faculty are trained by Jean Wu and Margery Davies and paired with the faculty trained the previous year by DOS staff. By Fall, 2000, we hope to be able to provide enough discussion groups to include all incoming students.
          2. During the past two years, Jean Herbert has compiled a booklet of ten essays written by members of the incoming class call "Voices of the Class of…" This is distributed to incoming students with the purpose of illustrating the range of identity and thought of new Tufts students.
          3. Since 1990, the Dean of Students has sent to all incoming first-year students a letter about the increasing diversity of American society and Tufts' commitment to building and maintaining a diverse university community.
          4. "Eyes on the Prize" and a documentary about a French village whose inhabitants were credited with saving the lives of many Jews during the Nazi occupation have been shown to educate students about diversity.
          5. The President includes a statement on diversity in his Matriculation speech.
          6. The Office of Residential Life raises it in the College Life programs for new students.
          7. Some effort is made to raise it in at least one of the movies shown during the week.
          8. Efforts are ongoing to better integrate the Center peer advisors into Orientation activities; there are some limits because they are in training programs during the first few days of Orientation and are often participating in their own orientation programs on the weekend.
        2. Better utilization of the Centers:
          The Center directors are often involved in their own programs -- either training their peers or carrying out the orientation for new members of their constituency during Orientation Week. It may be possible to plan an Open House for all the Centers during the Extended Orientation (during the first or second week after classes begin) but it is difficult to see how it would fit during Orientation Week itself.

          Center directors are currently involved, however, in
          1. the training of peer leaders for all advising programs except Explorations and Perspectives, which precedes Orientation week.
          2. the orientation of R.A.s, through dessert night at the Centers
          3. participation in the selection and training of panelists for "Many Stories"
        3. Highlight minority contributions to Tufts and opportunities
          We have expanded the singing groups invited back for Orientation to include additional groups (including a group of women of color). We are hoping to be able to sponsor a mini-variety show early in the fall semester that would show both the talents of diverse students and some of the opportunities for involvement. The Centers also raise those opportunities -- either as part of their orientation program or as part of their ongoing programming.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          We are currently using volunteers to lead the "Many Voices…" discussions and will continue to do so through the next extended pilot effort in 1999. The cost of training the discussion leaders is currently paid for by the Orientation budget.
          Increasing the number of singing groups returning early for Orientation requires some reallocation of Orientation funds, which will be done.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          If the Fall, 1999 pilot of discussions by an expanded number of advising groups is successful and we decide to extend the requirement to all entering students, we will need to plan how the discussions will be led. To expand the number of leaders substantially will require additional training funds and perhaps additional trainers. If the cost is to be borne by the Orientation budget, it will require additional funds; if training is considered the responsibility of the Diversity Office, they would need to answer that question.
          Cost for a mini-variety show will be paid for jointly by Student Activities and the Orientation budget or by the Orientation budget alone, and will probably require eliminating or reducing the cost of another activity.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        The "Many Stories…" change is currently being implemented. It is expected to be fully implemented by fall, 2000. The inclusion of more singing groups will be in place for Fall, 1999. We hope that the mini-variety show will be in place for Fall, 1999.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 10


      Recommendation 10: A calendar of activities, designed for first-year students, should be promoted as a form of extended orientation, which would have the further benefit of allowing the new class to build a sense of its own identity and unity. The events should be selected to showcase the diversity of students on campus (P.20)

      Respondents:
      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        The Office of Diversity Education and Development is working on a Diversity Calendar, which is intended to provide a comprehensive listing of educational events related to diversity.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes – ODED staff time.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          If necessary, additional funding will be requested from A&S budget.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Expected launch date for Diversity Calendar is AY 1999-2000.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        Announcement of Calendar and solicitation of submissions.
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
          ODED
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          ODED


      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        1. An expanded number of singing groups has been invited to participate in Orientation, including Essence.
        2. The Student Activities Office and the Orientation Committee will try to arrange a mini-variety show during Extended Orientation which will showcase performers from diverse groups.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          The cost of the additional singing groups will be paid for reallocated Orientation budget funds. The mini-variety show will be paid for by funds from Student Activities and the Orientation budget. Since the Orientation budget is already fully spent each year, some event(s) will need to be scaled down or eliminated.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          No
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 11


      Recommendation 11: The University should invite a variety of (student performing) groups for performances at official events, perhaps on some rotating system. (P.22)

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology

      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        This recommendation should probably be directed to other offices (Alumni and Commencement, perhaps), since the only official function under partial direction by the Dean of Students Office is Orientation, to which Jean Herbert and I responded under another recommendation. [Mel Bernstein] See response from Dean of Students Office.
      2. Resources:
        NA
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          NA
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          NA
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        NA
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        NA
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 12


      Recommendation 12: There should be an immediate response from the administration if an evident misrepresentation or malicious report is published in the student media without appropriate commentary. (P.24)

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        The Department of Public relations is increasing its efforts to communicate with the student media on a more regular basis. We believe it is our responsibility to provide timely and accurate information and to set the record straight whenever we are made aware of inappropriate, misleading or inaccurate information. We pursue all appropriate communications channels to correct information or broaden perspectives and understanding, including letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, email, 'blast faxes,' University publications and audio channels.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      I do not disagree with the intent of this recommendation, but I am not sure how it would be implemented. Perhaps more information would be helpful:
      1. In some instances, the Task force seems to have preferred a response from either the Vice President of the President. Is the office that should respond to be determined by the nature of the misrepresentation or is the response expected from the rapid response team?
      2. There are many student publications, not all of them distributed regularly to administrators. Is a response expected spontaneously or is a collaboration between students and administrators expected (so that students will bring to the attention of administrators or the Center directors, who will refer it to the appropriate administrator to respond?) I imagine that administrators would be willing to respond but would not want their failure to do so because they had not read a particular article misinterpreted as either insensitivity or bigotry.



      Recommendation 13


      Recommendation 13: A response team should be created that is responsible for promptly responding to racial incidents on campus. Efforts should be enhanced to communicate the racial incident reporting process to students, and the campus reporting process should highlight the President's "no intolerance" policy.

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        An administrative response team is in the final planning stages. After the final plans are made, they will be discussed with the Oversight Panel before being announced. [Bobbie Knable] Development of a response team is in progress
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          NA
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          NA
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Administrative Response Team and procedures to be announced by the end of the Spring 1999 semester.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          Announcement and advertising of the Administrative Response Team will be the joint responsibility of the President's office, the office of the VP for Arts, Sciences, and Technology, and the A & S Office of Diversity Education and Development,



      Recommendation 14


      Recommendation 14: Ways to inform students about their recourse when faced with racist or discriminatory behavior should be instituted, including formal written complaint procedures (P. 8).

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Ways to inform students about their options when faced with racist or discriminatory behavior are implemented through the student handbook ("Pachyderm") and the brochure on "Bigotry". These written communications have been revised and agreed to by the students from the Cultural and Ethnic Affairs Committee on the TCU Senate, who originally raised the issue. The "Pachyderm" and the "Bigotry" brochure are distributed to all incoming students in their Orientation packet and both are on the Web. Wider distribution will be initiated through the residence halls and the Campus Center this fall.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          No
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 15


      Recommendation 15: There must be an immediate response from the administration when racial incidents occur. This is not to interfere or pre-empt the adjudication of the incident, but the student community, especially in a residence hall, needs some assistance immediately (P. 26).

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        An administrative response team is in the final planning stages. After the final plans are made, they will be discussed with the Oversight Panel before being announced.
        [Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students] The full version of the Task Force Report does not indicate that students think no action occurs, only that they feel many students do not know that it occurs. So, I'm not sure what this recommendation intends. If it means to take action immediately (since (a) already refers to reporting on it (Recommendation 13 – ed. note)) I agree that we should take immediate action (and, I hope, already do), but what the action should be and what "immediate" is depends upon the circumstances of the incident.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          NA
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          NA
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Administrative Response Team and procedures to be announced by the end of the Spring 1999 semester.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          Announcement and advertising of the Administrative Response Team will be the joint responsibility of the President's office, the office of the VP for Arts, Sciences, and Technology, and the A & S Office of Diversity Education and Development.



      Recommendation 16


      Recommendation 16: Campus Police need further racial awareness training, judging from certain instances that occurred last year, including the targeting of minority students for questioning on party nights. (P.25)

      Respondents:
      John King, Public Safety
      Barbara Wooten, Office of Equal Opportunity

      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        John King and Barbara Wooten are collaborating on a training curriculum for the campus police, to be included during the annual in-service training program.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        The training is planned to occur before September 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
          John King
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 17


      Recommendation 17: Tufts should not move in a direction to consolidate the Culture Centers into a single, multicultural unit. (P. 27)

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Such consolidation has not been considered or proposed and is not now under consideration.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 18


      Recommendation 18: The Culture Centers should be strengthened and supported so that they can enhance their work at developing community among the students of color, as well as among all students at the University. (P.33)

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          The VP will be providing summer support to all centers in the form of student internships. In addition, development has set up separate accounts to direct donations to the Culture Centers.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        The Office of Diversity Education and Development has a collaborative relationship with the Culture Centers, to the extent that this collaboration helps to strengthen and support the Centers. However, ODED does not have formal responsibility for this recommendation.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        1. The staff person will be shared by four centers (instead of five), and increased Center budgets make it possible to hire student help (including a graduate student intern) for individual offices.
        2. The increased funding will also make possible increased programming (as noted elsewhere).
        3. Efforts to identify more suitable space (which means not only additional space, but appropriate location and configuration of space) are ongoing.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes, funding for hiring additional undergraduate and graduate student staff and for increased programming is possible within the increased budget.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come? Space is allotted by A&S based on priorities and availability.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999, for the budget increases. It isn't possible to predict when space would become available.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 19


      Recommendation 19: Funding for more cultural programming and speakers should be increased for the Centers, to produce larger programs that would have more of a draw for the entire Tufts community. (P. 33)

      Respondents:
      Sol Gittleman, Provost
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development

      Sol Gittleman, Provost
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Funding from the Black Cultural faculty program came from my office for the first two years and is continuing. Above $6000 annually. I will continue to allocate my funds for faculty academic activities.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          No, nor should they be. I have faculty development dollars as a result of my own fundraising. They will go to faculty initiatives.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          No.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        It is happening as we speak.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
          Each organization. Professor Penvenne, for example, is chair of this program.
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          Faculty.


      Margery Davies, Office of Diversity Education and Development
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        The Office of Diversity Education and Development does not take formal responsibility for this recommendation since it has no authority over the budgets of the Centers. However, ODED has begun to work collaboratively with the Centers on programming that would have more of a draw for the Tufts community. ODED staff have been working with a number of people, including Center directors, on a proposal for a Vice President's Race and Diversity Speaker Series (tentative title), which would provide major campus-wide race and diversity education programming.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes - funding for a Speakers Series would come from re-allocating funding that VP has reserved for sponsoring speakers upon request on an ad hoc basis.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          If new resources are required, they would come from A & S budget.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Speaker Series launched AY 1999-2000
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        Announcement of Speakers Series by VP for Arts, Sciences, and Technology, and by ODED staff who will convene group that oversees Series.
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 20


      Recommendation 20: Operating budgets for the Centers should be increased so that more personalized Orientation activities can be implemented. These activities should include efforts at welcoming students prior to arriving on campus and for programs during "extended orientation", as described in the Orientation section.

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      Wayne Bouchard, Dean of Administration
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Wayne Bouchard, Dean of Administration
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        This is in progress and will be reflected in the center operating budget for next fiscal year.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          No
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          Yes, from budget reductions elsewhere in the A & S budget
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
          Dean Knable
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?
          Dean Knable



      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Center budgets now all include funds sufficient to permit a 2-day orientation program for incoming students at the end of the general orientation program. A director may decide that is the best way to serve the needs of his or her community but also has the option of developing a different format for his or her orientation. It is the directors' professional responsibility to assess and respond to the needs of their constituencies within the limits of their budgets, so there is no university mandate to prescribe the exact nature of the orientation program for individual centers.

        Centers currently are in touch with students from their constituencies before the students arrive on campus, to invite them to the Orientation program and to describe the role of the Center. That practice will continue.

        All Center budgets now include funds for varied programming beyond an orientation program, sufficient to pay honoraria and expenses for several moderately priced outside presenters, and an occasional higher priced presenter, particularly if Centers continue the practice of seeking co-sponsorships.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Yes. See above.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          These are new funds from the Vice President of A&S.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 21


      Recommendation 21: Visibility of the Centers should be enhanced through co-sponsorship of events funded by the Vice President's office and other Tufts administrators, such as bringing a major speaker to campus who will talk about issues of race and diversity.

      Respondents:
      Mel Bernstein, Vice President for Arts, Sciences, and Technology
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Office of Diversity (See Recommendation 19 – ed. note).
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 22


      Recommendation 22: Pamphlets describing the missions, services, and activities at the Culture Centers should be circulated to all students, especially prospective and incoming students (both students of color and white students). As this is information about important resources for all students at Tufts, the Centers should be furnished with the funds to produce such pamphlets (p. 26).

      Respondents:
      Wayne Bouchard, Dean of Administration
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students

      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Culture Center directors have been asked to begin discussions among themselves and to produce drafts for brochures describing their centers, functions, and offerings. [Wayne Bouchard] Same as for Recommendation 20.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          Funds are included in the newly increased Center budgets sufficient to cover distribution to incoming students. Distribution to prospective students would be decided upon, implemented and financed by Admissions.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          See above.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999 for campus distribution to incoming students.
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?



      Recommendation 23


      Recommendation 23: The undergraduate admissions bulletin for prospective students should be rewritten to clearly articulate the distinctions between the Culture Centers and the Culture Houses (p. 26).

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      David Cuttino, Dean of Admissions

      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        Corrected, since no confusion exists in 1998-9 booklet. Asked Center directors to suggest revision, if they felt distinctions between centers and houses were unclear, and they did not see the need for any.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          NA
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          NA
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        NA
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        By the oversight Committee, reporting to the community the information it receives in response to its periodic questions about implementation of the recommendations.
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?


      David Cuttino, Dean of Admissions
      The Bulletin for Prospective Students sent to all students indicating an interest in applying to Tufts describes "An Environment of Many Cultures" as "an important part of the educational experience at Tufts" and describes the activities of the culture centers. The culture houses are described separately.


      Recommendation 24


      Recommendation 24: There should be a more extensive training available for all R.A.s on issues of racism, and it should be ongoing, in terms of focus groups or brush-up sessions (p. 24).

      Respondents:
      Bobbie Knable, Dean of Students
      1. Please explain how this recommendation is being implemented. List specific activities that advance the accomplishment of the recommendation.
        R.A.s and proctors currently undergo training on diversity issues during their orientation at the beginning of the year. During the summer the office will begin planning for follow-up during the year.
      2. Resources
        1. Can existing resources be reallocated for implementation?
          If campus resources can be used, we will do so. If it is decided that non-campus resources are better suited either to the initial orientation or to the follow-up, they will be employed.
        2. Are new resources required? From where will they come?
          If outside resources are used, it will require additional funds or redirecting funds from other aspects of training for R.A.s and proctors.
      3. What is the time line for implementation of the recommendation?
        Fall, 1999
      4. How will progress about implementation be communicated to the Tufts community?
        1. Who is responsible for communication?
        2. Who will develop creative ways, if necessary, to inform the community?







    Additional Response from Dean Cuttino.

    • There has been commitment in visiting schools to devote 25% or more of visits to schools with a significant percentage of Students of Color.

    • The Students of Color Outreach Program at Tufts continues initiatives to encourage the interest of Students of Color including Recommend a Friend, organizing of fall programs for prospective students of color, the April Students of Color Outreach program for admitted students, contacting prospective students, and a high school visit program to return to their secondary schools to talk with prospective students.

    • Letters have gone to African American alumni in recent years encouraging them to recommend a student.

    • Increased funding has been obtained to assist admitted Students of Color from low-income families in visiting the campus.

    • A letter has been sent by President DiBiaggio to all admitted Students of Color to offer congratulations and welcome to the Tufts community.

    • In a new initiative, a representative of the Black Alumni Association has written to all admitted African American students to encourage their enrollment and to offer the interest and support of the Black Alumni Association.

    • Members of the Black Alumni Association and African American members of the Tufts Alumni Admissions Program are making special efforts to call admitted African American students to encourage their enrollment.

    • Additional financial support also has been recently obtained to assist with Students of Color Outreach Program (SCOPE) activities.

    • An effort to target underrepresented Asian American groups has resulted in a strategy to visit community-based organizations as a part of fall recruitment travel.









    Status of Priority 1 Recommendations
    from the Task Force on Race

    Recommendations

    Respondents

    Oversight Panel Assessment of Progress

    1. Formation of Oversight Panel

    Mel Bernstein

    Complete

    2. Administrative workshops

    John DiBiaggio

    Mel Bernstein

    In Place

    3. Formulation of Office of Diversity Education and Development

    Mel Bernstein

    Wayne Bouchard

    Complete

    4. Relocation of OEO

    Sol Gittleman

    No Action Necessary

    5. Administrators’ speeches

    Sol Gittleman

    Mel Bernstein

    Susan Ernst

    Leila Fawaz

    Ioannis Miaoulis

    In Place

    6. Intellectual climate, three faculty positions, curricular gaps

    Sol Gittleman

    Mel Bernstein

    Susan Ernst

    Leila Fawaz

    Ioannis Miaoulis

    Alternatives are In Progress

    7. Summer curricular workshop

    Mel Bernstein

    Margery Davies

    In Place

    8. Financial aid initiatives in Capital Campaign

    John DiBiaggio

    Mel Bernstein

    Gary Lowe

    David Cuttino

    In Place

    9. Race/diversity in orientation

    Bobbie Knable

    In Progress

    10. Calendar for extended orientation

    Bobbie Knable

    Margery Davies

    In Progress

    11. Student performing groups

    Bobbie Knable

    Mel Bernstein

    In Progress

    12. Administrative response to misrepresentation in media

    Bobbie Knable

    Mel Bernstein

    In Place

    13. Administrative Response Team

    John DiBiaggio

    Bobbie Knable

    Mel Bernstein

    Margery Davies

    In Progress

    14. Student recourse procedures

    Bobbie Knable

    In Progress

    15. Administrative Response Team for residence hall complaints

    Bobbie Knable

    Mel Bernstein

    Margery Davies

    In Progress

    16. Campus police diversity training

    John King

    Barbara Wooten

    In Progress

    17. Separation of culture centers

    Bobbie Knable

    No Action Necessary

    18. Culture Center support

    Mel Bernstein

    Margery Davies

    Bobbie Knable

    In Place

    19. Funding for cultural programming

    Sol Gittleman

    Mel Bernstein

    Margery Davies

    In Place

    20. Centers’ orientation programs

    Mel Bernstein

    Wayne Bouchard

    Margery Davies

    In Progress

    21. Co-sponsoring events by VP and Centers

    Mel Bernstein

    In Place

    22. Culture Center pamphlets

    Wayne Bouchard

    Bobbie Knable

    In Progress

    23. Bulletin rewrite re: Centers/Houses

    Bobbie Knable

    David Cuttino

    Complete

    24. Training for RAs

    Bobbie Knable

    In Progress




  • Meeting Information

    Back to main main Diversity Dialogues page