This electronic document was extracted from a booklet compiled by Arvind Vepa & Sujit Vishvanathan. Converted to HTML by Krishna Kumar.
This compilation is dedicated to everyone who has made St. Stephen's College what it is today.
As is evident from its size and content, this booklet is far from being a comprehensive history of the College.It attempts to evoke through vignettes the spirit of a renowned and distinguished institution.
The compilers wish to thank, Mr Shankar Ghose, Mr Ranjit Bhatia, Dr Wilson, Mr Lawrence Paul, Dr Aditya Bhattacharjea, Mr Subarno Chatterjea, the computer lab assistants, the library staff, Arvind Ranganathan, Tarun Singh and Deepak Gehlaut(for trying to teach a novice to operate computers) and all the others for their encouragement and help.
By the essential conditions of their life, by the circumstances of their history, by the continuity of their growth through political and religious revolutions, by the catholicity of sympathy in which they embrace every form of speculation and enquiry, by the happy discipline through which they combine reverence with freedom and enthusiasm with patience, the Universities are providentially fitted to train men who shall interpret the faith of the West to the East, and bring back to us new illustration of the one infinite and eternal Gospel.Nowhere does the spirit of England find a more complex expression, nowhere is it more easy, more natural to believe that the Mission of England will not be unaccomplished.
--BROOKE FOSS WESTCOTT
St Stephen was the first Martyr of the Christian Church (died c 36 A.D in Jerusalem). His name is derived from the Greek word Stephanous or crown. His distinct belief led to his martyrdom. He was stoned to death. In the Bible mention about St Stephen is found in the book of Acts, chapters 6 and 7. A painting 'The Martyrdom of St Stephen' by Rembrandt is on display in the Lyons Museum, France.
The first mention of a St Stephen's College occurs in the report of the Delhi Mission of The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in 1864. This branch of the Society's work had been opened in 1854 at the instance of a chaplain of the East India Company, the Revd.Midgley John Jennings. He was the chaplain of Delhi and was killed on 11 May 1857 during the Uprising.
St Stephen's High School was founded before the 1857 Uprising by the Revd.M.J.Jennings in about 1853-4. It was a large and important institution comprising a central school and several branch schools;it had about 600 students. The central school was lodged in a hired house in Katra Kushal Rai, Chandni Chowk. The school building was called Shish Mahal and belonged to Ashraf Beg, a vizier of the last Mughal emperor. His daughter Aliza Begum was one of the emperor's wives.
In the 1870's, Bishop Douglas of Bombay suggested that the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge send out men of high scholarship who would live in a religious community and work amongst the educated classes of India. His idea was carried into effect by members of Cambridge University and inspired by the Revds. Hort, Lightfoot and Westcott. The enthusiasm and idealism of Wescott gave birth to the Cambridge Mission.
The Rt.Revd.Brooke Foss Westcott, D.D., Bishop of Durham, and Regius Professor of Divinity, Cambridge was the first Chairman of the Cambridge Mission. To commemorate Bishop Westcott, the Westcott Memorial lectures, sponsored by the Teape Foundation, were started in 1955. The Revd. William Marshall Teape was a lover of India and a life-long disciple of the Revd. Westcott. Cannon Charles E.Raven, the then Professor of Divinity at Cambridge, was the first Westcott Lecturer who delivered a series of eight talks on religion, science and technology in November 1955.
The Revd.Edward Bickersteth headed the Cambridge Mission which left England for India on 30 October 1877. He was accompanied by the Revd.John Davidson Monro Murray. The Mission started from Westcott House, Cambridge and its motto was 'For My Sake and the Gospel's'.
The Revds H.T.Blackett, H.C.Carlyon, S.S.Allnutt and G.A.Lefroy joined Bickersteth in 1878.Blackett fell ill in 1880 and Murray in 1883;Bickersteth was called away in 1882 to be a missionary Bishop in Japan.
In 1879 the Revd.R.R.Winter, a missionary in the Society for the Propogation of the Gospel in Delhi, handed over charge of St Stephen's High school to Bickersteth, and this work became the first distinctively educational undertaking of the Cambridge Mission.
With the closure of Government College in Delhi (1876) because of to financial problems, the Bishop of Lahore, Dr French, immediately urged the Cambridge Mission to fill the breach. St Stephen's School already had permission to open classes to prepare students for the B.A. examination of Calcutta University;thus on 1February 1881 university classes were begun and St Stephen's College came into existence.The Revd.Samuel Scott Allnutt was the founder and first Principal of College(1881-89).
When the College was started on 1February 1881 it had three teachers and five students. Apart from the Revds. Allnutt and Lefroy the staff included the Revd.H.C.Carlyon. The five students were Sansar Chand, Har Gopal, Sajjad Mirza, Kripa Narain and Ram Lal.
Allnutt (1850-1917) was nicknamed giraffe when in school and rode about Delhi on a tricycle. Head of the Cambridge Mission from 1899-1917, he was Canon of Lahore from 1910. He died on 7 December 1917 and was buried at the Thompson Road Cemetery (now the Delhi Railway Station marshalling yard) and his remains were subsequently reinterred in the College Chapel on 1 May 1979. The anniversary of his death is observed as Founder's Day in College each year.Allnutt's biography, 'Allnutt of Delhi' by Cecil H.Martin is available in the library.
In 1881 the subjects taught in College were :
Logic and Literature - Revd.Allnutt (taught in College 1881-98)
Psychology and History - Revd.Lefroy (taught in College 1881-91)
Mathematics - Revd.Carlyon (taught in College 1881-83)
Later, Persian was taught by Maulvi Shah Jehan (taught inCollege 1881-1907)
The College colours are Martyr's Red and Cambridge Blue. The College Crest is a Martyr's Crown in gold on a field of Martyr's Red, with a five pointed star, edged with Cambridge Blue. Round the five pointed star, which stands for India, is the Cambridge Blue border. On the ground, which is coloured red to represent St Stephen, stands the crown in gold, which awaits the person who will give his life for the Truth.
In 1882 St Stephen's College was affiliated to the University of Punjab, which was created in that year out of University College, Lahore. The Anglo-Vernacular and Oriental Colleges were also affiliated to the University of Punjab.
The revival of Sanskrit learning was one of Principal Allnutt's most cherished hopes. In August 1883, Pandit Bihari Prasad Dube was engaged to teach Sanskrit. He served in College till 1894.
In 1885, the College for the first time introduced candidates to the Bachelor of Arts degree, and Makkhan Lall was the first to graduate. The next year, Rang Lal was the first student from College to go abroad for higher studies.He died soon after and his name is commemorated in the English Prize endowed by his brother, B.Pyare Lal. The first postgraduate student of College was Lala Bhagwan Das(English) in 1893. A first class B.A. was achieved for the first time in 1901 by Shibbu Mal.
The first librarian and clerk of the College was Shri.B.Kishen Das. He joined College in 1887. Qamaruddin, a water carrier, served College for over fifty years from the one room in Chandni Chowk to the Kashmere Gate buildings.He was popularly called Bhisti, and his portrait currently hangs in the Principal's office.
On 8 January 1889, at the 100th meeting of the Mission Council, Allnutt proposed two possible sites for a College building. One was outside Lahori Gate and the other at Kashmere Gate, opposite the Provincial Bank. The latter was valued at Rs 5000. The Kashmere Gate site was chosen. The foundation stone for the buildings at Kashmere Gate was laid in 1890 by Sir Charles Elliot, then Head of the P.W.D. and later Lt Governor of Bengal. The designs for the Main Building were supplied by Colonel Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob, then Chief Engineer of Jaipur State. The Lt Governor of Delhi, Sir James Lyall, inaugurated the new buildings at Kashmere Gate on 8 December 1891, an event that was reported by The Pioneer. The total cost of construction of the buildings at Kashmere Gate was Rs 92, 702 and 10p. An anonymous writer in The Engineer criticized the College for not adopting a Gothic but a Moghul style of architecture for the Kashmere Gate buildings.
On the site of the cricket ground attached to the Kashmere Gate buildings(from 1896) just outside Kashmere Gate, British troops had been massed for the final assault on Delhi in 1857;and now the I.S.B.T.(Inter State Bus Terminus) is situated on that land to continue the assault.
A precursor of the College Magazine is found in the Cambridge Mission Papers of the 1890's, which contained articles by teachers and others.
In 1896 the inscriptions from the Gospel of St John, Chapter 8, verse 12-' Jesus said, " I am the light of the world; he who followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life"; and from the Mundaka Upanishad " Satyameve Jayate Nanritam " went up on the College Hall walls. "Truth without fear" was the previous motto, and later "Ad Dei Gloriam" (the Latin for:To The Glory Of God)was adopted.
The Revd.John William Thorpe Wright taught in College from 1883 to 1902 and was the second Principal from 1899 to 1902. He was nicknamed Downwright. Wright was devoted to the bullock that drew water and rolled the cricket pitch and grounds outside Kashmere Gate. Besides the mali(the gardener) only Wright could handle the animal.
The foundation stone of the old College cricket pavilion at the Kashmere Gate is currently housed in the College archives. The pavilion was erected in 1899 by Wright with the aid of funds received from friends and some public schools in England.
Abhinash Chander Ghose (lecturer in Philosophy 1899-1910, 1913-18), was ordained in 1896 as Samuel Ghose.He was the first old student to join the staff, in May 1898. Pt Raghubar Dayal (lecturer in Sanskrit 1901-15) and Khub Ram (lecturer in Physics 1902-22) were the second and third old students to join the staff.
The Revd.George Hibbert-Ware taught in College from 1898 to 1906 and was the third Principal, 1902-06. He was a keen footballer.
The residence of the Revd.Alexander Charles Maitland(lecturer 1891-94), Fairholme, was renamed Maitland House in 1906 when members of the Cambridge Mission moved out of the old Mission House to stay in Maitland House. The Revd.J.G.F. Day(lecturer, 1902-7) was later appointed the first Primate of the Eire.
The Revd.F.J.Western(lecturer, 1904-09), the first Rector of Delhi University, instituted the Rector's Prize which is still continued by the University. He taught in College from 1904 to 1909 and was the acting Principal in 1912. He headed the Mission after Allnutt's death till 1928 and was also the Chairman of the College Governing Body.
The Revd.Charles Freer Andrews joined the College staff in 1904. He became a close friend of Principal Rudra and also of Mahatma Gandhi and Tagore. He taught English from 1904 to 1914 and was Vice-Principal from 1907-14.Andrews founded the College Magazine in 1907. It was called The St Stephen's College Magazine and later renamed ÎThe StephanianÌ. College lore has it that Andrews and W.W.Pearson went to South Africa in 1914 to persuade Mahatma Gandhi to come to India and lead the freedom movement, at the instance of Principal Rudra.In fact Andrews took leave in order to visit South Africa to mediate in the struggle between Gandhi and the Natal Government over the condition of Indian indentured labourers there.Andrews wrote and dedicated North India(1908) and Sadhu Sunder Singh (1934) to Principal Rudra.He resigned from Vice Principalship of the College in 1914 to join his friend Rabindranath Tagore at Shantiniketan. He was elected President of the All India Trade Union Congress for the years 1925 and 1927 respectively. A portrait of C.F.Andrews by Tagore currently hangs in the Principal's office.
The foundation stone of our current building in the University Enclave, was laid by Andrews on Monday, 27 March 1939. The 54th Bengal Native Infantry was housed on the site during the 1857 Uprising. College lore has it that the foundation stone was consecrated by the Bishop of the Anglican Church and the Imam of the Jama Masjid. The architect of the present building was Sir Walter George. The inauguration was reported in The Statesman.
One morning the white table cloth on the breakfast table in the dining hall was missing. Later it was found that C.F.Andrews, who had unexpectedly arrived late the night before found a charpai (a cot) and used the table cloth as a bed sheet. C.F.Andrews was commemorated in College by the institution of the C.F.Andrews Trophy for Debate.The trophy is a silverplated replica of the old buildings at Kashmere Gate. The first winners of this trophy were Abdul Qayyam and Ayodhya Prakash. The C.F.Andrews Memorial Lecture was started in 1962 by Principal Sircar. The first speaker was Shri Jaiprakash Narain and the topic was' Nationalism in India Before and After Independence'. The Indian Posts and Telegraphs issued a first day cover in 1971 to commemorate Andrews' birth centenary on 12 February. On 14 September 1961, the Governing Body of the College decided to name the forecourt of the College as the Andrews Court.
Sushil Kumar Rudra joined the College staff in 1886 and was the fourth Principal and the first Indian Principal from 1906 to 1923. He was a good friend of Mahatma Gandhi and C.F.Andrews. The draft for the Non-Cooperation Movement and the Open Letter to the Viceroy giving concrete shape to the Khilafat claim were prepared at Principal Rudra's house at Kashmere Gate, where Gandhiji stayed during his first visit to Delhi in 1915. A photograph recording this visit of the Mahatma and Kasturba Gandhi from 13-15 April 1915 currently hangs in the Principal's office. In 1921, Gandhiji announced that he would be emptying all government and government aided educational institutions of their students. In a meeting to ascertain whether Principal Rudra would accommodate Gandhiji, Rudra said:"This old man has not the heart to say no to him." On this occasion, Gandhiji did not stay with Principal Rudra, but with Dr Ansari at 1 Darya Ganj. Rudra's tenure as Principal was seminal for the College.
Three enduring institutions were established during his Principalship:
(a) The College Magazine -1907
(b) The Criterion Club -1909
(c) The Rudra Dinner, held on 12 February each year.
Principal Rudra died on 29 June 1925 and in his will left the bequest for the Rudra Dinner to be held each year on 12 February. He selected this day for two main reasons: to commemorate his wife's death anniversary and also remember the birthday of his life long friend, C.F.Andrews.
The Risley Circular of 1907 prevented all government aided colleges from even mentioning politics before their students. St Stephen's, however, encouraged healthy political discussion amongst its students.
The foundation stone for the Science Block at the Kashmere Gate site was laid by the Deputy Commissioner of Delhi on 16 July 1907.
Lala Har Dayal, an old student, who spearheaded the Gadhr Movement, and was helped by Principal Rudra to flee the country in1911.
Major-General Ajit Anil Rudra, son of the late Principal, was a student of the St Stephen's High School and one of the first Indians to receive the King's Commission in the Punjab Regiment (4/15th). He was also one of the 80 odd survivors of the charge of the 500 Fusiliers in the Battle of Somme in France on 1 July 1916.He died in 1994 at a ripe age of 97 after prolonged illness.
Mr C.H.C.Sharp, who joined the staff in 1908 as a lecturer in English was the first person from Oxford University (Corpus Christi) to teach in College.He, along with the Revd.W.F.Ireland (lecturer in English 1916-20), was responsible in 1912-14, for organizing the Social Service League. Mr Sharp also started the Rover Scouts in 1923 with a fellow lecturer, Mr P.G.Scott. It existed till Sharp was in College and fizzled out after his departure.Sharp returned to College in 1956 for a year or so.
The Committee of Games was originally constituted by the Revd.Western (officiating principal) in September 1912 for the general control and management of sport in College. It was constituted with Francis Frank Monk, in charge of football, as President.The other members were C.F.Andrews (cricket), F.A.Cockin (hockey, also represented England in hockey) and C.H.C.Sharp (tennis and athletics). The student members were P.W.Shah, G.C.Chatterjee, J.B.Lal, Sudhir Rudra, S.N.Mukarji, Md.Aminuddin and W.M.Baksh.
Mr W.G.Lawrence (Oxford), joined the College staff in 1913 as a lecturer in English andHistory and taught till 1915. He was commissioned as an observer in the Royal Flying Corps and was shot down over German lines in 1915 and died of wounds thus sustained. He was a brother of the famous Col.T.E.Lawrence, better known as Lawrence of Arabia.
Amir Chand, a Stephanian, who was allegedly involved in a bomb attack on the Viceroy, Lord Hardinge in 1913 was defended by Allnutt in Court. He, and Avadh Behari, another old student, were sentenced to death in the Delhi Conspiracy Case.
In the original Constitution of St Stephen's College drafted on 6 November 1913, revised on 1 February 1919 and again in 1929, the following staff members were on the Governing Body: 1. The Principal 2. The Vice-Principal 3. The Bursar 4. Three elected members of the staff (one of whom had to be a member of the Cambridge Brotherhood and the other two Indians) 5. One person appointed by the Principal.
Rabindranath Tagore visited the College on Saturday 3 October 1914. The students had only a brief glimpse of him then.As he did not speak, the students arranged to have a meeting of their own on Sunday 4 October at noon. The College Hall rang with cheers and the aisle was thick with rose petals which were showered on the poet as he passed on from the porch to the dais. He spoke on 'Nationality and Western Development of Social Existence' and suggested a solution to the problem of the unity of India. College lore has it that Tagore finalised the English translation of Gitanjali at Principal Rudra's house at Kashmere Gate.
1915 saw the beginning of The Resident Students' Union, formerly called The Boarders Club, to represent the various hostels (Allnutt, Wright, Main, and Khub Ram) in the College cabinet.Mr P.N.F. Young was the first President. The present equivalent of this is the Residence Committee, consisting of :the Prinipal, the Dean, the Block Tutors and a few representative senior students.
In 1916, Punjab University appealed to the College for the services of Pt Raghubir Dayal for a period of nine months. Pt.Raghubir Dayal was conferred the title of Pandit even though he was not a Brahmin. He later went on to become the Principal of Sanatan Dharam College, Lahore.
Pt Lachmi Dhar, an old student of the College, joined the staff in October 1916 as a lecturer in Sanskrit after an archaeological apprenticeship under Sir John Marshall. At the All India Oriental Conference in Patna in 1931, he presented his paper which was later published in expanded form as a book entitled 'The Original Home of the Aryans'. He later conducted the wedding ceremony of Feroz and Indira Gandhi. He taught in College till 1935. On 24 February 1955 the College Union held the first Inter-Collegiate Pandit Lachmi Dhar Trophy debate in Hindi. The beautiful trophy -a Natraj cast in silver- is an appropriate memorial to the late Mahamahopadhyay Pandit Lachmi Dhar.
Dr Azhar Ali(old student, lecturer in Persian and Arabic, 1928-47) had an outstanding gift for friendship with his students with whom he spent hours in conversation, partly social and partly instruction. On returning from England where he had gone to read for a Doctorate, he remarked that he had not seen a donkey in Europe.To this, one of his students, Ghulam Nizamuddin replied, "But others must have!".
Miss E.Elton was the first woman to be appointed to the staff. She taught English from 1918 to 1920.
On 28 April 1918 the Government of India convened a War Conference in Delhi to persuade the nationalist leaders, especially Gandhiji who was then embroiled in the Kheda Satyagraha, to suspend their agitation and support the war effort. After the conference, Gandhiji wrote a letter to the Viceroy explaining what the people of India expected from the Government. However, as Lord Chelmsford had returned to Shimla, the summer capital, Gandhi, upon the suggestion of Andrews, chose the Revd. W.F.Ireland (lecturer 1916-20) as the courier to deliver the letter.
When Delhi University was created in 1922 by an Act of the Indian Legislature, St Stephen's was one of the three constituent Colleges of the University. The other two were Hindu and Ramjas Colleges.
Two old Stephanians who became Vice-Chancellors of Delhi University were Dr Khan Bahadur Abdur Rehman(1930-34) and Rai Bahadur Dr Ram Kishore(1934-38).
The Colours of College were officially fixed in 1926 as Martyr's Red and Cambridge Blue. The exact shade of red intended was for sometime doubtful till the assistance of a firm in England was invoked in late 1920s.In 1928, the Committee of Games unanimously decided to use the scarves of a similar pattern to the ties obtained from theEnglish firm as a solution to the problem of team colours for cricket, tennis, athletics, football and hockey.We now have the concept of Ground colours and College Colours (navy blue badge with a golden crown) for distinction in Sports.
The Revd.Francis Frank Monk (Oxford), taught in College from 1910 to 1935 and was the fifth Principal (1923-6). He was the first President of The Committee of Games. He, along with the Revd.Fitch, tried to start rugby but it never caught on. The College Gymnasium is named after Monk. He is the only Principal so far to have held the office for a second period after having laid it down: when Principal Mukarji left for Oxford Monk was Principal once more. He served in the army during World War I in Palestine and Egypt and attained the rank of Captain.Monk wrote a book on the college entitled 'St.Stephen's College- A History';it was compiled for the Cambridge Mission in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the College. The book was published in 1931. Before joining the College, Monk served as Personal Assistant to Bishop Lefroy in Lahore.
Mr Maxwell S. Leigh(lecturer in Philosophy, 1926-32) retired from the Indian Civil Service after 16 years' stay in India to teach in College. He was famous for his moonlight parties on the roof of the old Allnutt Hostel at Kashmere Gate.
Mr Frederick G. Winsor(lecturer in English and History, 1928-35) was a linguist who knew about 17 languages! One term, he was learning Norwegian over his breakfast, Tibetan in his bath and Portugese after dinner.During his stay in College he learnt Urdu in addition to the above!
Women were first admitted to the College for the M.A. course in 1928-9. They were first admitted to undergraduate courses in 1943. This was stopped in 1949, with the establishment of the Miranda House. Women were readmitted in 1975.In 1993-94, they were also admitted into BSC(G) and the B.A. Pass courses.
In March 1929, Lord Irwin was the first Viceroy of India and the only one to preside over the annual Prize giving Ceremony.
Nishi Kanta Sen (lecturer in Philosophy 1906-45) is the only other staff member besides Principal S.N.Mukarji to be conferred the title Rai Bahadur. He was the first Registrar of Delhi University and later Registrar of Vishwabharati University, Shantiniketan.
Mr. C.H.C.Sharp (lecturer in English 1908-26, 1956-8) and his wife Marjorie (lecturer in English 1922-23) were the first husband and wife pair on the staff. We currently have Dr Vijay Tankha (Philosophy) and Dr(Mrs) Upinder Singh (History) as a husband-wife combination on the staff (incidentally, both are old students of the College).
The Criterion was the name given to the newly organized Third Year Club in 1911. It sprung from the Second Year Club which in turn owed its existence to the First Year Club of 1909. The fundamental principle of the Criterion was very similar to that of the First Year and Second Year Clubs. It was started for the benefit of students and its objective was " the advancement of Literature and Social Intercourse " amongst the students. In 1911 a President was elected for the first time from amongst students. Formerly one of the Professors was invited to preside over meetings of the club. When first constituted, the whole body of the club consisted of 22 members, who made up the House. The Cabinet consisted of 8 Officers who were elected from amongst the members called Fellows of the House. The first meeting of the Criterion was addressed by Principal S.K.Rudra.
As already noted, the Social Service League was created in1916. The idea behind the League was put forth in the form of two lectures in December 1915 by Mr Ghose with the assistance and support of Sharp and Ireland. He took students on visits and voluntary work to the city to help the sick and the poor and attend to patients in the Municipal Hospital. These visits fired a zeal amongst the students. They met in the Tutor's room in January 1916 to formulate practical measures, with the Principal in the Chair. At the commencement of the League the subscriptions were not to be less than 2 annas per head per month. The evening classes currently conducted by the League had their forerunner in the Rudra Night School for the sweepers children that were conducted under the guidance of Principal Rudra.In the 1960s, the Social Service League brought out a paper named 'Kalyan' (now no more).
Professor Keshab Chandra Nag(lecturer in Economics 1921-58) who shaped the Economics department had two loves: Economics and Cricket. He would turn students out of the class if they failed to attend an important match. Upon retiring from College, he endowed an Economics Prize and a sports trophy (the Inter-class Challenge Trophy for all games).
In 1922, The Stephanian allotted a special section for women contributors in College. This section was under the charge of Indira Sarkar.
Dr T.G.Percival Spear(lecturer in History from 1924-48), an eminent historian, taught European and Indian History. Some of his books were: The Twilight of the Mughals, A History of India, Vol.II(Penguin), and A Guide to Monuments of Delhi which remains a classic. He was the representative of Cambridge Committee at the College Centenary celebrations in 1981. He died in 1982.
In the Kashmere Gate buildings the Reading Room was set up on 11 March 1922. The portrait in the current Seminar Room left wall panel is that of James Alexander Richey, who began his career as an educationalist in South Africa and joined the Indian Education Service in 1906. He was the Commissioner of Education, Delhi during 1921-7 and, on retirement in 1927, he settled in South Africa. Upon his death, a bequest of £600 (Rs 8000 in those days) was left to College. This was conveyed by Mrs Richey to the College in 1935. The money was used to redecorate and panel the room which was called the 'Richey Reading Room'(now, the Seminar Room). This room had portraits of former members of the staff and in between them were the coats-of-arms (now missing) of those colleges at Cambridge and Oxford from which the earliest members of the staff came to Delhi. The Reading Room was set up on 11th March 1922.
Satya Nand Mukarji taught in College from 1912 to 1945 and was the sixth Principal, from 1926 to 1945. In 1930-1, a commission was set up under the Chairmanship of Dr Lindsay by the United Missionary Societies of Great Britain and the United States to study the whole question of Christian higher education in the Mission Colleges in India. Principal S.N.Mukarji was one of the two Indian members on this body. The Lindsay Commission Report which specified the number of Christian members of staff to be set aside for extra-mural work, was followed by College. Mukarji was conferred the title of Rai Bahadur by the government in 1936. Principal S.N.Mukarji initiated a move in the Governing Body to establish a system of study leave for the staff after seven years of service. The first to avail of this privilege was Maulvi Abdur Rehman, the then Head of the Department of Arabic. Principal Mukarji died on 3 April 1945. We have in his memory two Blocks of Residence, Mukarji East(1958) and Mukarji West(1968). The Mukarji Memorial Inter-Collegiate Debate was started in 1948.
Karuna Moi Sarkar (lecturer in English and History 1926-38), affectionately called 'Ericda', died in 1938 while helping pilgrims caught in a blizzard at Amarnath. He gave away all his warm clothes in a bid to help the trapped pilgrims and contracted double pneumonia which proved fatal.
The Shakespeare Society had its antecedents in the weekly Shakespeare reading started by John Wright, the second Principal(1889-1902), which was later developed into a society for first year students by the Revd. B.K.Cunningham (lecturer in College 1893-6) in 1896. The Falstaff Club (first mentioned by that name in 1899) emerged out of these beginnings.The present-day Shakespeare Society was created in 1926. In 1924, the Revd. H.W.Padley joined St Stephen's ; in response to a call for a play to be staged on Founder's Day, he presented the trial scene from The Merchant of Venice. The Society was established with the following purposes:(a)to produce one Shakespeare play every year, (b) to study Shakespearean drama when the Society is not engaged in producing a play and (c)to observe 23 April as Shakespeare Day every year.It started with sixty members and a nominal subscription of Re 1and produced Julius Caesar in March 1926. In the mid 1930s thirties, the Society began to perform only every alternate year. After 1950, with the departure of women students from College, the custom of inviting women from Miranda House started. Another innovation of the 1940s was the production of plays not written by Shakespeare. However, on one occasion earlier in the late 1930's the Society departed from the tradition of Shakespeare and staged a variety show called The Kashmere Gate Smashers Revue. In 1944 and 1945 the experimental break was made and Bernard Shaw's 'Arms and the Man' and 'Candida' were produced. Since 1950 the Society has been producing Shakespeare plays annually.It also conducts an inter-college one-act play competition annually in memory of Principal Rajpal (ninth Principal 1972-84). E-13, Allnutt North is the Shakespeare Society room (the only room in Residence open to women).
In 1927, Hindu College granted without any charge the generous concession of admitting annually to its Biology classes six intermediate students of St Stephen's College. These students would have had their admissions cancelled had this concession not been made.
Dr Ishtiaq Hussain Qureshi, an old student from 1924 to 1928, later served as lecturer in History from 1928 to 1944. In 1947, during the Partition riots, the Muslim students were evacuated to the Purana Qila. During the riots Dr Qureshi's library was burnt down and in the turmoil Mr Walker was injured while defending the University Laboratories from the mobs. Dr Qureshi subsequently migrated to Pakistan in 1948 in a burkha to escape detection. He later served in the Pakistan Government as Education Minister and was the Vice-Chancellor of Karachi University. In his memory the first Dr I.H.Qureshi Memorial Lecture was delivered in 1982. Some of Dr Qureshi's books are:Administration of the Mughal Empire, Administration of the Sultanate of Delhi and Akbar: The Architect of the Mughal Empire.
The Dhaba has its origins in the early 1930's when Sukh Ram, popularly called Sukhia, set himself up as a pan wallah opposite the Maitland Hostel near Kashmere Gate. He initially sold pan at the rate of two banarasi pans for a paise. He later began selling pedas and burfis. In 1941, he too moved to the present campus along with his friend Manzoor Ahmed, affectionately called Bade Mian. They both set up shop near the present site of the Hindu College gate but soon shifted to a verandah where the Cafe Extension now exists. The present Dhaba now manned by Sukhia's sons Rohtas and Banarasi was donated to Sukhia by an old student who was the head of a big soft drink bottling company. The kiosk is still maintained and repaired by the benefactor. Sukhia started the kitab or a log book to enter credit purchases at Kashmere Gate and this continues even today. During his last days in College, Sukhia attributed the decline of the country mainly to Paneer ki Mithai, Hartals (sweets and strikes)and ostentatious and wasteful expenditures especially at weddings. Sukhia claimed to have smoked only once, that too after seeing a movie, Sant Tulsidas. Sukhia died on 4 May 1986.
The Nationalist Society was started in 1930 so that students of the College could express their nationalistic feelings. The Society aimed to provide the students with the opportunity to do their bit for the country. Its membership was open to the College community, provided they took a pledge to help the Swadeshi movement and were willing to do all within their power for the attainment of Puran Swaraj.
The Revd. S.F.Davenport(lecturer in Philosophy 1932-38) was known as the Nanga Padri (the Naked Father), as he sported the tiniest of tiniest langoties (briefs) while swimming in the River Jamuna. During World War II, he was sent to the front as Chaplain. When he was evacuated at Dunkirk, he sent a telegram to Sudhir Bose (Philosophy) saying "Have returned safely with my langoti on".He was a popular umpire in Inter-College tennis and cricket matches and helped build up College games.
Dr Basanta Kumar Mittra, a Stephenian, was the first principal of Delhi Tibbia College-an institution set up to revamp the Unani and Ayurvedic systems of medicine by using the experimental methods of western science. Lala Raghubir Singh, a Stephanian, was the founder of Modern School, Delhi.
Sir Chottu Ram was the first Stephanian to be knighted in 1937. He was a co-founder of the National Unionist Party and later leader of the Punjab Unionist Party.When Chottu Ram was in College he went back to his village without permission due to ill-health.Principal Wright sent S.K.Rudra (Vice-Principal) along with another staff member to the village, Garhi Sampla in Haryana, to bring back Chottu Ram.
Sudhir K.Bose, an old student of St Stephen's High School and the College (lecturer in Philosophy 1937-63) was a regular participant in the Annual Cigar Smoking Competition from 1927-30 at Harrods of Knightsbridge, London. On all the occasions he finished in the top five but never won the competition. The brand of cigarettes he was known to have perpetually dangling from his lips was Capstan. He was also a confirmed bachelor and the President of the O.S.B.A. (Old Stephanians' Bachelor's Association). Once when asked, "Mr Bose, why don't you get married?".He replied "Oh, because a married man has to do those silly things which I don't like to do".
He was President of Games for twenty-five years, from 1942 to 1967, and was instrumental in raising funds for the College Gymnasium. He introduced Sports Dinner in 1949. He was also a founder member of the Board of Control for Cricket in India and was closely associated with the Delhi District Cricket Association. He died on 5 April 1983. In his memory the Sudhir Bose Lectures were started in 1985. The first lecture was delivered by Prof.Sibajiban Bhattacharya. In 1986 Imperial Avenue in front of the College was renamed Sudhir Bose Marg.
The Inter-Class Cross Country Challenge Trophy was donated by the Stephanian Association of Western India in memory of Sudhir Bose.
The rose beds in Allnutt Court were laid out by the students and Mr Eyre Walker(former Vice-Principal) in the mid 1940s. The staff quarters outside Allnutt Gate are situated now in a place popularly known as 'Punjabi Bagh'.In the 1940s University Marg(Road) was known as the Inquilab Marg.
In 1940, for the first time in the history of the College the important office of the President of the Criterion was seriously contested by a lady student, Ms Usha Rani Mallik, she tied with the later elected President Hari Mohan Singh.Ms Krishna Sharma became the first woman President of the Criterion Club in 1946 but had to resign as her budget was defeated. Kawal Kishan, her opponent, became the President.
The Old Stephanians' Association was founded in 1940.The membership fee was Re 1 per annum and Rs 12 for life membership. Mr Sudhir Bose was its first President.
V.B.Raju (lecturer in Philosophy 1935-8 and President of the Oxford Union) was a close friend of Sir Stafford Cripps. He, along with his colleague Benny Richardson, wrote out a new constitution of India in 1942 and presented it to Cripps. Raju advocated a monarchy.
Mussarat Jahan Begum Timuri, an old Stephanian in the early 1940s, studied Philosophy. She lived in the walled city with her mother on a Government pension. V.B.Raju in his constitution of 1942 wanted her to be the ruler of India as she was supposedly a direct descendant of Timur.
Behind Allnutt North stands a pedestal which has the following inscribed on it: Santosh Kishen Mehra 1939-43. It was installed by his father in memory of the son who died in College.
Principal David Raja Ram (seventh Principal, 1945-60) was the first old student of College to become Principal. He was nicknamed "Duggy" and his car, affectionately called 'Mrs. Noah' was used to ferry staff members to Kashmere Gate to watch the cricket matches played by College. He committed what can be termed a classical faux pas when he introduced Countess Edwina Mountbatten to the assembly as 'The Mountess of Countbatten'.
Sameenuddin Khan, an old student(1945-7) now in Pakistan, was successful in disrupting the morning assembly and with 50-100 men boycotted classes and went on a protest march against the I.N.A. trials. He pulled down the Union Jack from the Flagstaff.The Partition deprived him and Haroon Bokhari(1944-7)of their degrees from Delhi University. Asaf Ali, an old student and later a prominent member of the Congress Party, was amongst the defendant lawyers during the I.N.A. trials.
The Revd. Walter William Jarvis(Chaplain and lecturer in English 1946-62) once purchased a parrot for Rs 5 to learn Hindi. He had his cycle tied to the main cross in 1955. The locked well behind the Chapel was called the `Jarvis Pond'. He was amongst the first few persons from College invited by Ms Nisha Patel (now Nisha da Cunha, a well-known novelist) of Miranda House to act in their play, 'The Chalk Garden'.
In 1947 during the Partition riots a mob came armed with kerosene tins and rags to set fire to St Stephen's College. The then Principal of Hindu College, Mr N.V.Thadani, came to know of this and along with a couple of staff members stood at the gates of St Stephen's and prevented the mob from entering. He said that if they wanted to burn educational institutions, they could start with Hindu College which then had its campus at Kashmere Gate.
Baij Malhan, or Two-Ton-Tony as he was called, was the President of the Criterion Club in 1940.He would often take a few measured though forbidden sips in his room in Allnutt Block.Mr Walker, a lecturer, came to know of this and one evening discovered a familiar half-empty bottle. Mr Walker is reputed to have asked in mock ignorance what the brown liquid was."Only kerosene, Sir" was Two-Ton's agile reply. "Well, don't tell me I've been drinking kerosene all my life, " was the reply, as Mr Walker emptied the contents of the bottle down the drain.When suspended for the fifth time without being given a chance to explain(his plea was that there being only four gates in College, he could not be thrown out for the fifth time), he presented the Principal, on the Founder's Day, a gramophone record with the observation, "To our Principal, who does not hear two sides of anything except a gramophone record".
The Hiking Club was formed in 1949 with Dr Bushnell as the staff advisor, with a membership of 15 students. It was initially called 'The Mountaineering Society.' Hari Dang and Suman Dubey (old Stephanians) accompanied the second Indian Everest expedition in 1962-3.
The Photographic Society was established in 1949 under the Chairmanship of K.G. Singh. The Principal had allotted a room on the first floor near the Assembly Hall to the Society.In the early 1950s, the Bird Watching Society was established to identify the large number of species of birds in Delhi.Now the Wildlife Society has taken over this activity. There was also a shortlived society in early 1950s called Zi-Eta-Zeta(on lines of the Phi-Beta-Kappa) which usually met at night to discuss subjects like tensors, groups and relativity.
In 1951, a new constitution was drafted for the College Union, still called The Criterion, with the President answerable to it. Natwar Singh, later to become a diplomat, M.P. and Union Minister, was elected the first President under the new Constitution in 1951.
The United Nations Society was established in 1951 to hold seminars and symposiums on international issues and invite distinguished speakers to address students. It conducted the Annual U.N. Week from 20 to 24 October. This Society became defunct in the 1960s.
A unique item in the Union budget of 1950-51 was a "contribution to the Nation's compassionate Fund", an amount voluntary contributed by the Union to help poor students.
The three heads of state from College have so far been :
1. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (India)
2. Gen. Zia Ul-Haq (Pakistan)
3. Selim-e-Selim (Tanzania)
When Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, (old student 1921-2) visited College on 7 December 1974, along with his wife, it was the first time that a Head of State and First Lady of independent India had visited College. Zia Ul-Haq's(old student 1940-4) novel method of ragging freshers was to parade them down the fields in the middle of the night. He last visited College in 1986.Incidentally, Zia ul-Haq misspelt his name in a leave application to the Principal as Zai ul- Haq!
Colonel S.C.F.Pierson, a jockey from the Calcutta Race Course rose to the post of lecturer in English in College. When he was a Senior Member at the High Table, he would sometimes feel his stomach turning at the thought of the hot and greasy curry for dinner and his unofficial Grace would be as follows:
"O God, we don't want to be rude, But must we eat this bloody food?Ó Pierson was the Founder-Editor-Publisher of 'The Onset', a tri-weekly publication from College. The first issue was in September 1962.
Deep Chand, the celebrated barber, was reputed to have mastered the art of shaving students while they were asleep and also administer a head massage which would ensure clear minds for the exams. One can still find him in the University Hair Dressing Saloon in Kamala Nagar.
Principal Satish Chandra Sircar (eighth Principal 1960-72) was the second old student to become Principal. He marched in the Delhi University Contingent during the Republic Day Parade of 1963.
Kooler Talk was started by Sarwar Lateef, Mani Shankar Aiyar and Montek Singh Ahluwalia in the early 1960s. The trio wanted to name it 'The Blacksmith', in commemoration of the one song all true Stephanians know better than the National Anthem. The authorities, however did not agree.In 1957, a water cooler was installed and was duly named 'The Blacksmith'. It continues to be a favourite venue for students during the ragging season!
It is said that the only staff member to have ragged during his tenure was Mr David Gosling (lecturer in Physics 1965- 9). He is supposed to have founded the notorious Mukarji East Liberation Front, a body that engineered various pranks. Mr Gosling, however, denied his involvement in such activities in his article in the Centenary issue of The Stephanian.
In 1966, the Wodehouse Society was established with the aim of reading, considering and enjoying the works of P.G.Wodehouse and other such writers. The society ran a wallpaper under the editorship of Lalit Sharma. Mr Brij Raj Singh was the staff advisor. The last advisor of the society was Mr A.B. Mathur and the Society ceased functioning in 1985. During the days of the Wodehouse Society there used to be an event called the 'Lord Ickenham Impersonation Competition'. An item in one such competition featured Amitabh Pande and Benjamin Gilani enacted how certain staff members would bark had they been dogs.
Before the College Chapel was built in 1952, the morning prayer service used to be conducted in the Senior Combination Room.
The first bell was brought from St Mary's Church, Ajmer. After a very short period of service, this bell cracked and a hand-bell was used on a temporary basis.In 1954, the Revd. Jarvis made an appeal in the Yorkshire Post for a bell for the Chapel. In response, the Directors of Springhead Mill in Guiseley, Yorkshire offered to give a bell. It arrived in Delhi on the evening before Founder's Day in 1954 and was hung in the turret. This bell began its life in Guiseley in 1842, when it was used to call men and women to work at the Mill. It also served as a fire-bell for the village of Guiseley. The second Chapel in College is located in College House (the Principal's Residence).
The bust of Albert Einstein in the library was sculpted by A.H.Benjamin, the former Librarian.
C.Ramu Warrier was the first Rhodes Scholar from College in1949. In 1979, Amrita Cheema was the first lady from India to be awarded a Rhodes Scholarship. She joined College in 1975, the year women were readmitted to St Stephen's.
St Stephen's made its billiards debut in 1950/1 when the College was invited to play a five-a-side match at Roshanara Club, Delhi. St Stephen's lost the rubber by just 18 points. The Roshanara Club hosts the annual cricket match between St Stephen's and the Club for the Ram Kishore Trophy (Ram Kishore was an old student of College who played cricket along with C.F. Andrews).
Dr V.Arya (lecturer in Hindi and Sanskrit 1950-94) was the only Major on the staff, holding an N.C.C. Commission. His house near Allnutt Gate was used for the shooting of Hindi film Sparsh, starring Shabana Azmi and Naseeruddin Shah. The house near the Allnutt Gate was the annual venue for jalebies(sweets) during Holi(the festival of colours), during Dr Arya's tenure in College. Dr Arya was involved in the famous Anand Bamroo incident in which the prankster was chased around the College corridors at night, in the buff, by Dr Arya. " Why didn't you stop Bamroo?" asked the Principal the next day. "In my condition ?" is what the unruffled student is supposed to have replied.
In 1954, the J.C.R. (Junior Combination Room) wall-paper, The Midget, paid tribute to the Mess in the following extract:
Half a league,
Half a league, Half a league onward
Into the bowl of curry
Rode the one-sixty
"Forward the hungry brigade
Charge for the peas!" he said.
Into the bowl of curry;Rode the one-sixty.
"Forward the hungry brigade!"
Was there a man dismayed?
Not tho` the laddies knew,
Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply;
Theirs not to reason why
'Theirs but to eat and --,
Into the bowl of curry,
Rode the one-sixty
Potatoes to the right of them
Potatoes to the left of them
Potatoes in front of them.
Into the valley of curry,
Rode the one-sixty.
(Not much has changed since then).
Olympians from College:
M.N. Masud played hockey for India at the Berlin Olympics 1936.
H.E. the late Maharaja of Bikaner, Dr. Karni Singh, represented India at numerous shooting championships including five Olympic games since 1960.He was the first Indian to have won medals in the World Championships(silver, Cairo, 1962) and the Asian Games (silver, Tehran, 1974).
Randhir Singh represented India in shooting over four decades and has taken part in six Olympic Games since the Tokyo Games, 1964.
Ranjit Bhatia was a member of the athletics squad to the Rome Olympics 1960. He ran the 5000m and the Marathon.
The Late Lt. Kiran Seth was an outstanding swimmer and basketball player who represented College, Delhi University, Delhi state and the Services. He was killed in action in 1965. A memorial tournament has been instituted to honour him.
The Revd. Daniel O'Connor (lecturer in English and Chaplain1963-72) was nicknamed 'Vampire' for his enthusiastic support to blood donation and he was responsible for setting up a blood bank in College.
Dr D.C.Ghosh(old student 1927-33, lecturer in Economics 1949-74, Bursar, 1960-71, Vice-Principal, 1974)often started his lectures on the Five Year Plans with the following words:"The Five Year Plan, I say, is a plan for five years!"He was instrumental in organizing the exhibition of paintings and other works of art on Founder's Day.
In the 1960s, Stephanians were classified into the following types:
The Trekker (with sun tan and beard)
The Pap (one whose trousers measured more than 19 inches)
The Toughie (can't abide with intellectual talk, Gandhism and loose change)
The Pseudo (Encounter or Quest under his arm)The Killer (tight black trousers, a yellow sweater and a smooth chin)
The above were in addition to the famous Rez type, Day-schi type and the Artsi and Scienci types(ie the Resident student, the day-scholar, the arts and science students repectively).
In the 1960s, there was a cook by the name Chanda who used to prepare a dessert called 'Sola Zafran', a preparation with 16 different types of nuts. Custard in various degrees of thickness is the order of the day now.
When the magnitude of the Bihar famine became apparent to College in the autumn of 1966, students raised funds and collected foodstuffs by foregoing meals. They also collected old garments and medicines and during December 1966 a group from College visited Palamau and other areas. A number of students went subsequently to help the local administration in relief measures. This experience made a deep impression on the students.
Sanjit Bunker Roy(captain, squash 1965-66) was a national champion and played in the world Championships in 1967 and 1971. Influenced by the Bihar famine he devoted his life to social work and established the Social Work and Research Centre at Tilonia, Rajasthan.
In 1970s, Naxalism found a breeding ground in College. Some have attributed it to the political awakening of the 1960s, Vietnam, Prague, and the Bihar famine which influenced students here. Naxalism died out in College by mid 1970s. Incidentally, in 1970 the premiere of the movie Bobby was held in College.
Sucheta Kriplani (old student) was the first woman Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, from 1963-7. She was the first woman Chief Minister of any Indian state. An old Stephanian who has become Chief Minister of a state three times is Virabhadra Singh of Himachal Pradesh.
Air Chief Marshall P.C.Lall (old student) was the Chief of Air Staff from 16 July 1968 to 15 January 1973.Admiral S.N.Kohli (old student) was the Chief of Naval Staff from 1 March 1973 to 28 February 1976.
W.N. Usmani (200m, 400m, 400m hurdles, broad jump and triple jump) won the National Championships in the 400m hurdles in1959. He represented India at the third Asian Games (Tokyo), the Commonwealth Games at Cardiff and the Indo-Pak-Iran Games at Lahore.
Basketball was started in College by Sushil Ansal, Virendra Kalra, Fateh Singh Jasol, Narendra Kumar and Shantanu Kumar in the late 1950s.
Inderjitsinhji, Ashok Gandotra, Arun Lal, Michael Dalvi and Kirti Azad are old students who represented India in cricket.Anuradha Dutt was the first Stephanian to play for Delhi in the Inter-University Women's cricket tournament. Vijay Mehra represented the U.A.E. in the 1996 Cricket World Cup.
Deepak Vadehra, a national level table tennis player, captained the College team in 1968-9 and represented India in the World Table Tennis Championships held in Tokyo in 1970.
Kulbir Singh (captain, aquatics 1966-7) and Joseph Kuok(captain, aquatics 1977-8) represented India in water polo.Avinder Singh Brar (captain, aquatics 1977-8) was the national record holder for the 100m and 200m breast-stroke. He was assassinated while jogging at the N.I.S. Patiala in December 1987. A scholarship has been instituted in College in his memory.
Ashok Singh Malik has won the Amateur Golf Championships of India on three occasions, including once when he was in College. He represented India in the Eisenhower Cup Tournament.
The College Gym was built from funds donated by old Stephanians and partly collected through a dance recital by Ms Jyotsnalata, the daughter of Kailash Khanna (old student 1943). The Gym was commissioned in 1970-1.
To commemorate the College Centenary Year, a 35p. stamp showing the front view of College was released by the Prime Minister, Smt.Indira Gandhi, on 1 February 1981. A picture of this stamp can be found in the library extension.
In December 1984 the St Stephen's Choir was put together again after some decades under the guidance of Viju James ( old student and later lecturer).In 1993 and 1994 the Chapel Choir brought out two cassettes of it's recordings.
The Revd. Maqbul Caleb(an old student), former Bishop of Delhi, laid the Foundation Stone of the library extension on Friday, 7 December 1984. The extension was finally commissioned in 1988.
The Intra-College festival, 'Harmony' was started in 1985-6.Prior to Harmony, we had an inter-college festival called 'Winterfest'. Shikha Swaroop (old student 1986-9) became Miss India while in College.
The Ladies' Common Room and the Cafe Extension were constructed in 1987.Before this, a small room to the right of the Hall had served as a Ladies Common Room in the 1940s. The same room again became the L.C.R. in 1975, till a larger one was constructed in Allnutt Court in 1987.
Shailendra Sinha(1990-3) at the age of 17 was the youngest Indian to set foot on the Arctic. He, along with his instructor Mandip Singh Soin, reached Eureka Base Camp in the Canadian Arctic on 22 April 1989. Sinha's adventure was part of the"Ice Walk 1989" led by the polar explorer, Robert Swan.
Jaspal Rana(1991-) won the Gold Medal in shooting in the World Championships in Rome. He along with Mansher Singh won theGold Medal at the Commonwealth Games in Victoria, 1994.Mansher Singh, an old Stephanian, won a Gold Medal in the 1994 Commonwealth Games.
Some novelists from College : Gopal Gandhi, Amitav Ghosh, Upamanyu Chatterjee, Nirmal Verma, Shashi Tharoor, Alan Sealy, Anurag Mathur, Mukul Kesavan;and Khushwant Singh.
Some politicians from College : Sucheta Kriplani, Vir Bhadra Singh, Vikram Mahajan, Lalit Sen, Inderjit Gupta, K.Natwar Singh, Digvijay Singh, Rao Birendra Singh, Mani Shankar Aiyar, Arun Singh, Salman Khursheed.
Some film-makers, actors and theatre personalities from College : Ketan Anand, Kabir Bedi, Siddharth Kak, Shekhar Kapur, Amit Khanna, Rajiv Mehrotra, Joy Michael, Parikshit Sahni, Roshan Seth and Safdar Hashmi (College Street was renamed Safdar Hashmi Marg after his death).Madhur Jaffrey, who was in Miranda House, acted in several Shakespeare Society productions in the 1950s.
Some journalists from College : Sri Krishna, Vishnu Dutt, B.G.Verghese, C.S.Pandit, Ajit Bhattachajea, Nandan Kagal, Prem Bhatia, Swaminathan Aiyar, Arun Shourie, Dilip Cherian, Prem Shankar Jha and Suman Dubey.
Some Vice-Chancellors from College: Sir Abdur Rehman (Universities of Delhi, Punjab and Madras), Dr Ram Kishore (Delhi), Dr J.C.Chatterjee (Agra), Dr Ram Behari (Jodhpur), Dr S.M. Sen (Bardwan) and Dr I.H. Qureshi (Karachi).
Civil Servants from College : if we were to list them, then a separate directory would have to be compiled.
Some Stephanians from Pakistan(from Mani Shankar Aiyar's article in the Centenary Issue of The Stephanian):Gen. Zia-ul-Haq, Dr I.H.Qureshi;S.Shahnawaz, Iqbal Butt, Birjis Hassan Khan-diplomats;Zahoor Azhar and Taimuri-bureaucrats;Ikramul Haq and Abdur Rahman Siddiqui-journalists;Qadeeruddin Ahmed-Chief Justice, Baluchistan and Sindh; Shuja-ud-Din -renowned test cricket umpire; and many others.This specie of Stephanians is extinct now.
The present-day Delhi United Christians Senior Secondary School on Raj Niwas Marg is a continuation of the old St.Stephen's School of 1854.
******************************************************************** CHRONOLOGICAL SKETCH OF THE HISTORY OF ST. STEPHEN'S COLLEGE 1854 : St. Stephen's High School founded by Rev. M.J.Jennings, Chaplain of Delhi. 1877 : Foundation of the Cambridge University Mission under the inspiration of Dr. Westcott. Delhi chosen as thecentre of work. 1878 : Rev. S.S.Allnutt arrives in Delhi. 1879 : Rev. R.R.Winter (a missionary of the Society for the propagation of the Gospel) hands over the charge of the St.Stephen's High School to Rev. E.Bickersteth of the Cambridge Mission. This becomes the first distinctively educational undertaking of the Cambridge Mission. 1881 : St. Stephen's High School opens an FA (First Examination in Arts or XI and XII) Class for four students at the invitation of the Government, local effort having failed to replace the Old Delhi College, closed in 1876. 1882 : The College established as one of the original Colleges of the Punjab University which received its charter in 1882. 1890 : Foundation stone of the Kashmere Gate buildings laid by Sir Charles Elliot. 1891 : Kashmere Gate buildings designed by Sir Swinton Jacob (chief engineer of the Jaipur State) completed. 1899 : Retirement of Rev. S.S.Allnutt from Principalship. Under him the number of students had grown from five to ninety-nine. The study of Sanskrit revived and M.A.classes in English and Sanskrit opened. 1899-1902 : Principalship of Rev J.W.T.Wright. He developed the social side of College activity, especially games, and acquired the playing fields for the College, laid the foundation of the close fellowship of Indian and English members of the Staff and appointed S.K.Rudra as Vice-Principal. 1902 : Wright Memorial Block added to the Main Hostel. 1902-1906 : Principalship of the Rev G.Hibbert-Ware; period of quiet growth. Number of students in 1906 about 120. 1904 : Rev C.F.Andrews joins the staff. 1905 : Purchase of Maitland House as a Residence for members of the staff. 1906-1923 : Principalship of S.K.Rudra : marked by a great expansion of the College and its growth in reputation; by a large increase in the number of staff, the origin and development of the tutorial system, and close association of the staff with the students; and by the transformation of St. Stephen's into a largely residential College. 1907 : Foundation stone of Science building laid 1908 : Westcott Memorial Block added to the Main Hostel. 1909 : First branch hostel opened near Kashmere Gate under the superintendence of Mr.Sharp. 1910 : Management of the Branch Hostel taken over by the Baptist Mission under the superintendence of Mr.Young. 1912 : Games organised under a constitution, placing the management mainly in the hands of the students themselves. F.F.Monk is the first President of Games. Baptist Mission Hostel transferred to Civil Lines. Second Branch Hostel opened in Civil Lines (Commissioner's lane) under the Superintendence of Mr.Monk. 1913 : Third Branch Hostel opened near Kashmere Gate under the superintendence of Mr.KhubRam. New Constitution granted to College by the Cambridge and S.P.G. Committees, conferring on it a large degree of local autonomy. Simultaneous agreement with Government to limit numbers and develop intensive education. 1914 : Rev C.F.Andrews left the staff for Shantiniketan. 1917 : (7th Dec.) Death of Canon Allnutt. 1917-22 : Social Service growing; night schools and hospital visits undertaken. 1920 : Commissioner's Lane Hostel closed. 1921 : Reading Room Committee formed - mainly students. 1902-22 : M.A. classes added in Philosophy, History, Arabic, Economics and Persian - also M.O.L.(Master of Languages) in Arabic since 1913. 1922 : Allnutt Hostel opened. 1922 : Formation of Delhi University with St. Stephen's as one of its original constituent Colleges (other two being Hindu and Ramjas. 1923 : Retirement of Principal Rudra after 36 years of service. Appointment of Mr.Francis Frank Monk as Principal. 1925 : Death of Principal Rudra. 1926 : Resignation of Principalship by Mr.Monk and appointment of Mr.S.N.Mukarji as the sixth Principal. Institution of Rudra Dinner to be held each year on Feb. 12th. 1926-45 : Principalship of S.N.Mukarji ; great expansion of College and its growth in reputation. Greater interaction between staff and students. 1928-29 : Women admitted into College for the first time to post graduate courses. 1929 : Lord Irwin becomes the first and only Viceroy to preside over the Dismissal Service. 1930 : Mr.S.N.Mukarji appointed as one of the two Indian members on the Lindsay Commission to look into higher education in Christian Educational Institutions in India. 1931 : College celebrates Golden Jubilee. 1936 : Title of Rai Bahadur conferred by the Government on Principal S.N.Mukarji. 1939 : Monday 27th, March the foundation stone of our present buildings (University Campus) laid by Rev C.F.Andrews. Sir Walter George is appointed as the architect. 1940 : (5th April) Rev C.F.Andrews dies in Calcutta and is buried in the Lower Circular Road Cemetery. 1941 : College shifts to the University Campus. 1943 : Women admitted into the undergraduate courses for the first time. 1945 : (3rd April) Principal S.N.Mukarji dies and Mr.David Raja Ram becomes the first Old Stephanian to become the (7th) Principal of College (1945-60). 1948 : Mukarji Memorial Debate begins. 1949 : Sports Dinner started by Mr.S.K.Bose. College goes all-boys. 1952 : Chapel is constructed and Bishop Wilkinson of Lahore is the chief guest for the opening ceremony. 1955 : Westcott Lectures begin 1956 : Diamond Jubilee of the College. 1958 : The present Junior Combination Room, Mukarji East Block and the first Library Extension are constructed. 1960 : Principal Raja Ram retires and Satish Chandra Sircar becomes the second Old Stephanian to become the Principal (the 8th) of the College (1960-72). 1960-61 : (Old) Science Block is commissioned. 1962 : The College rag mags Onset and Kooler Talk are published for the first time. 1968 : Mukarji West Block is constructed. 1971 : Gym handed over to College by the Alumni. It was named F.F.Monk Gymnasium after F.F.Monk, 5th Principal (1923-26) and the first President of Games. 1971-72 : The Mori Gate ground becomes functional. 1972 : Principal S.C.Sircar retires and Rev William Shaw Rajpal becomes the 9th Principal of College (1972-84). New Science Block commissioned. 1974 : President Fakruddin Ali Ahmad (an Old Stephanian) and his wife becomes the first Head of State and First Lady to visit College (on 7th Dec.). 1975 : Women readmitted to College. 1979 : (1st May) The body of Rev S.S.Allnutt is reinterred in the College Chapel. 1981 : College celebrates its centenary. Mrs. Indira Gandhi, the chief guest at the celebrations releases a 35p commemorative stamp of the College.Dr.T.G.Perceival Spear (lecturer in History 1924-40) was the representative of the Cambridge Committee at the celebrations. 1982 : Dr. I.H.Qureshi Memorial Lecturers begin. 1984 : Principal Rajpal dies while in office and Dr.John H.Hala becomes the 10th Principal of College (1984-91). Rev Maqbul Caleb, former Bishop of Delhi and an Old Stephanian, lays the foundation stone for the second Library extension (7th Dec.). 1985 : S.K.Bose Memorial Lectures begin. 1986 : Imperial Avenue renamed Sudhir Bose Marg to honour Sudhir K. Bose (1902-1988), Professor Emeritus of College, Lecturer in Philosophy 1937-67. 1987 : The Cafe Extension and the Ladies Common Room are built. 1988 : The second library extension is inaugurated. 1991 : Dr. John H.Hala retires and Dr. Anil Wilson (Dept. of English of the Himachal University) is appointed the eleventh Principal of College. 1992-94 : Construction work for additional classrooms and a playing field at the old Dhobi Ghat underway.
Meet The Compilers:
Arvind Vepa: was a student of BA Honours and MA History from 1989 to1994. He was the Secretary and later the President of the Social Service League. He was the Joint Secretary, SPIC-MACAY and Assistant Secretary, Shakespeare Society. He was also a member of the College table tennis and cricket teams and the Committee of Games. He was awarded the Vinod Dikshit Memorial Award, the Revd. C.F.Andrews Memorial Award and the St Stephen's Centenary Medal.
Sujit Viswanathan: was a student of BSc Honours and MSc Physics from 1990 to1994. He was the Secretary, Photographic Society, Joint Secretary, Cine Club, a member of the Union Cabinet, and 'lights-in-charge' Shakespeare Society. He was also a member of the Ye Ol' Monk Club. He is currently pursuing a career in the Merchant Navy.